This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9201 / 52°55'12"N
Longitude: -3.0098 / 3°0'35"W
OS Eastings: 332199
OS Northings: 336328
OS Grid: SJ321363
Mapcode National: GBR 75.N1CD
Mapcode Global: WH89J.QVYS
Entry Name: 1-4, Church Terrace
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Last Amended: 2 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054254
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255722
Location: St. Martin's, Shropshire, SY11
Civil Parish: St. Martin's
Built-Up Area: St Martin's
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: St Martin's St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ST. MARTIN'S C.P. CHURCH TERRACE
SJ 33 NW
2/10 Nos 1-4 (inclusive)
(formerly listed as The
19.1.52 Almshouses, St Martin's)
Almshouses. Dated 1698, altered 1810 with later repairs and additions.
Red brick (mixed bond) with stone angle quoins and moulded eaves cornice
carried up around central projecting pediment; hipped graded slate roof.
Formerly 7 dwellings, now divided into 4 cottages. Single storey.
Symmetrical fenestration: C20 casements (replacing C19 latticed windows)
with C18 or early C19 gauged heads flanking paired entrances to left and
right. Similar arrangement of windows to either side of entrance to pediment
with doorways and adjoining windows in angles to left and right. Entrances
all have C20 nail-studded doors and C19 rectangular overlights. Ridge stacks
rebuilt in C19 red brick to left and right of pediment and integral end stacks.
Datestone to pediment inscribed "This School for the Education / of twelve
poor Female Children / in the Doctrines of the Established Church / was insti-
tuted A.D. 1810 / By / Charlotte Vicountess Dungannon / Sit Deo Gloria."
Another to right end wall reads "These Alms Houses / for the Maintenance
of Six Poor Women / were founded A.D. 1698 / by the Rt. Hon.ble Sir JOHN
TREVOR Kt. / of BRYNKINALT / Speaker of the House of Commons and / Master
of the Rolls during the Reigns / of King William III.rd and Queen Anne. /
Deus nobis hac otia fecit." B.o.E p. 239.
Listing NGR: SJ3218436328
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings