History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Navigation Inn and Attached Warehouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Oswestry Rural, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8184 / 52°49'6"N

Longitude: -3.0198 / 3°1'11"W

OS Eastings: 331368

OS Northings: 325027

OS Grid: SJ313250

Mapcode National: GBR 74.VJZ7

Mapcode Global: WH8B3.LF66

Entry Name: Navigation Inn and Attached Warehouse

Listing Date: 15 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054272

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255664

Location: Oswestry Rural, Shropshire, SY10

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Oswestry Rural

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Maesbury St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Ball

Listing Text

SJ 32 NW OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. MAESBURY MARSH

6/187 Navigation Inn and
attached warehouse

GV II

Inn and attached warehouse. Circa 1796 with later additions and alterations.
Red brick, rendered and painted to front, pantile roof with two C19
purplish red brick ridge stacks to inn. L-plan with warehouse flanking
canal. 2 storeys, dentilled eaves cornice; inn to left has angled north
end with panelled double doors under C20 porch, large fixed-light windows
to left and right with C20 gabled dormer breaking eaves; road front has
C19 casements to left and right of C20 door under gabled timber porch,
those to ground floor with segmental heads. Warehouse: attached
to right has segmental-headed doorway and two C19 casements directly
below eaves to left and right (as on inn); segmental-headed doorways
on ground and first floors on canal side (former now blocked). This section
of the Ellesmere Canal, opened in 1796 to link with the Montgomeryshire
Canal at Carreghofa, was used to transport limestone from the quarries
at Llanymynech and became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. Included
for group value. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands
(1966), p. 170.


Listing NGR: SJ3136825027

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.