History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clun Museum

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clun, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4214 / 52°25'17"N

Longitude: -3.0296 / 3°1'46"W

OS Eastings: 330076

OS Northings: 280876

OS Grid: SO300808

Mapcode National: GBR B5.NDT3

Mapcode Global: VH769.FDQL

Entry Name: Clun Museum

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 5 June 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054426

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257273

Location: Clun, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Clun

Built-Up Area: Clun

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Clun

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Clun

Listing Text

SO 3080-3180 CLUN C.P. THE SQUARE
(North side)

15/182 Clun Museum (formerly
1.12.51 listed as Court House
or Town Hall)

GV II*

Market-house, now museum. Dated 1780, remodelled and ground floor arcade
blocked probably in late C19. Coursed and squared limestone rubble (with
evidence of former limewashing), sandstone ashlar ground floor facing to
South and West and other dressings, later roughcast above ground floor
impost level, and hipped slate roof. 2 storeys. Projecting plinth,
first floor impost band, interrupted floor band to South, moulded wooden
craves-cornice, and central square cupola with louvred keyed round-arches
on each face and ogee lead cap with globe finial and wrought iron weather-
vane. South front: 3 bays, 1:1:1 rhythm, that in centre slightly projecting;
first floor C19 three-light wooden casements with ashlar lintels flanking
central lunette; ground floor round-arched arcade with impost blocks and
Projecting dropped keystones; 2-light C19 windows set back in outer arches
and 2 steps to central archway with boarded door set back. West-front:
carved sandstone Powis coat-of-arms on first floor dated "MLCCLXXX";
blocked ground floor round arch with impost blocks, projecting dropped
keystone, and inserted C19 nail-studded boarded arched door with elaborate
strap hinges.


Listing NGR: SO3007680876

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.