History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Warden's House and Chapel Adjoining Trinity Hospital at South-East Corner

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clun, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4232 / 52°25'23"N

Longitude: -3.0258 / 3°1'32"W

OS Eastings: 330337

OS Northings: 281073

OS Grid: SO303810

Mapcode National: GBR B5.NFQ8

Mapcode Global: VH769.HCQ7

Entry Name: Warden's House and Chapel Adjoining Trinity Hospital at South-East Corner

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054456

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257249

Location: Clun, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Clun

Built-Up Area: Clun

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Clun

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Clun

Listing Text

SO 3081-3181 CLUN C.P. HOSPITAL LANE
(East side)
13/160
1.12.51 Warden's House and
Chapel adjoining Trinity
Hospital at South-east
corner

GV II*

Warden's house, now house and chapel. Circa 1857. Coursed and roughly
squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs. L-
plan house with chapel to South. House: one storey and attic. Brick
ridge stacks off-centre to left and right; 2 central gabled semi-dormers
with verge parapets and 3-light casements. Ground floor 4-bay arcaded
loggia with square piers, moulded capitals and round arches; 2 casements
set back behind right half-glazed door to left; boarded door into hospital
in left-hand return front of loggia. Interior: dog-leg staircase with
pendants, closed string, turned balusters, moulded ramped handrail and
square newel-posts; moulded architraves. Chapel: lancet style. 3
bays. Diagonal buttresses, verge parapets; gabled bellcote to West
with chamfered-arched opening. Paired West lancets and triple East
lancets with continuous returned hoodmoulds; four- centred chamfered-
arched doorway in loggia to North with 4 flush-panelled studded doorway.
Interior: roof with pairs of purlins; arch-braced collar trusses with
king posts from collar to apex; C17-style 1857 box pews; plaque
commemorating foundation of hospital; glass in East windows lettered
"HENRY HOWARD, EARL OF NORTHAMPTON, KG,/FOUNDER/1618", "THOMAS MUSGRAVE,
D.D./LORD BISHOP OF HEREFORD/VISITOR 1837" and "EDWARD HERBERT, EARL OF
POWIS K.G./LORD of the HONOR and LORDSHIP OF CLUN/1845". Graded II*
on account of relationship with Trinity Hospital (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SO3033781073

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.