This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4364 / 52°26'11"N
Longitude: -3.0999 / 3°5'59"W
OS Eastings: 325323
OS Northings: 282616
OS Grid: SO253826
Mapcode National: GBR B2.MMGF
Mapcode Global: VH768.7122
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 5 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054466
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257166
Location: Newcastle on Clun, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Newcastle on Clun
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Newcastle
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 28 SE CLUN C.P. CHURCH ROAD, Newcastle
6/71 Church of St. John
Parish church. 1848, by Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury. Coursed and
squared limestone with ashlar dressings; slate roof. Lancet style;
6-bay nave with lower chancel, South-west porch and North-west vestry.
Plinth; buttresses with single off-set, diagonal at corners;
corbelled eaves, verge parapets; projecting gabled bellcote to West,
extending to ground level, with chamfered-arched bell-opening. Nave:
lancets with returned hood moulds; South-west doorway in second bay
from West with chamfered-archway and pair of boarded doors; gabled
porch with chamfered-archway, hoodmould with carved-head stops, and side-
benches within; gabled North-west vestry in second bay from West
with lancet to North and chamfered-arched 6-panelled door to East;
diamond-leaded lancet in bellcote-projection to West with blind
lancet above. Chancel: triple stepped-lancet East window with
returned hoodmould. Interior: double chamfered chancel arch;
hammer beam nave roof with arch-bracing to collar. Fittings
include: 5-bay West-gallery; 6-panelled vestry door; octagonal stone
font with quatrefoil panelled bowl, circular stem, large octagonal
base and trefoiled wooden top; octagonal wooden pulpit with blind
trefoil-arched panels; wooden chancel screen consisting of ogee arches
with pierced spandrels, frieze and cresting; panelled sanctuary.
Various mid-C19 monuments. Stained glass: Circa 1848 East window,
probably by David Evans of Shrewsbury,lettered: "IN MEMORY OF
CHARLOTTE OAKES, WHO / DIED JANY 20th 1848 AGED 76. ALSO OF THOMAS /
OAKES WHO DIED NOVR 3rd 1848 AGED 80. " The parish of Newcastle was
formed in 1849 out of the larger parish of Clun. Cf. The Old
Vicarage, Bridge Street, Clun and the Church of St. Mary, Chapel Lane,
(also included on this list). Cranage, Vol.5, p449.
Listing NGR: SO2532382616
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings