History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lychgate Approximately 25 Metres to North of Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Clun, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4191 / 52°25'8"N

Longitude: -3.0301 / 3°1'48"W

OS Eastings: 330038

OS Northings: 280617

OS Grid: SO300806

Mapcode National: GBR B5.NLNG

Mapcode Global: VH769.FGFD

Entry Name: Lychgate Approximately 25 Metres to North of Church of St George

Listing Date: 21 March 1968

Last Amended: 5 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054471

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257180

Location: Clun, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Clun

Built-Up Area: Clun

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Clun

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Clun

Listing Text

SO 3080-3180 CLUN C.P. CHURCH STREET
(South side)

15/83 Lychgate approximately 25
21.3.68 metres to North of Church
of St. George [formerly
listed as Churchyard
porch (Church of St George)]

GV II

Lychgate. 1723 (churchwardens' accounts), dismantled 1841, re-
erected in circa 1881 and restored 1956. Timber framed on low coursed
limestone rubble walls; graded stone slate roof, gabled on all sides
with circa 1881 moulded barge boards and finials. Square plan.
Framing: close studded sides with central rail, blocked below and
open above; large curved arch - braces to entrances at North and
South; trusses in gables with vertical struts to collar and quatre-
foiled panels, Central pair of circa 1881 wooden gates. After
its dismantling in 1841 it was re-erected at the gateway to
Handcauseway (Cf . Cranage) before being returned to its original
location in about 1881. Despite restoration in 1956, it is included
as a faithful copy and for group value. Cranage, Vol. 5, P.442-4;
Brief notes on St, George's Church, Clun; N.M.R.


Listing NGR: SO3003880617

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.