This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.523 / 52°31'22"N
Longitude: -2.9984 / 2°59'54"W
OS Eastings: 332355
OS Northings: 292150
OS Grid: SO323921
Mapcode National: GBR B6.G2H2
Mapcode Global: VH75Q.ZV67
Entry Name: Roveries Hall
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 2 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257084
Location: Lydham, Shropshire, SY9
Civil Parish: Lydham
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Lydham
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 39 SW LYDHAM C.P. OWL'S LANE (north side)
2/170 Roveries Hall (formerly
listed as The Roveries)
Shown on O.S. map as Roveries.
House. 1810, by John Hiram Haycock for John Oakeley as an enlargement of an
earlier house. Stuccoed limestone rubble with hipped slate roofs. Regency
villa style. 2 storeys. Plinth, deep eaves and 7 brick ridge stacks.
South-west front: 4 bays; glazing bar sashes, tripartite with recessed
segmental heads in outer bays on ground floor, and central 2-bay 2-storey
bow. South-east front: 3 bays, ground floor to left blank; central pair of
half-glazed doors, ashlar porch with unfluted Greek Doric columns and pilasters,
and full entablature with lead top. Projecting lower hipped-roofed circa C18
wing to right. Interior: entrance hall with semi-circular end walls and panelled
plaster ceiling; double height top-lit staircase hall and dog-leg staircase
with stick balusters; fireplace in The Drawing Room with reeded architraves,
and doors with reeded architraves. The Panelled Room, ground floor to right
at rear: a post-war introduction from a London house. Raised and fielded
panelling with dado and moulded cornice; fireplace with lugged architrave,
central carved shell panel, flanking carved acanthus, egg and dart enriched
cornice; panelled overmantel with eared architrave, shell above and flanking
husk garlands; flanking semi-circular arched buffets; 6-panelled door with
architrave, and doorcase with acanthus frieze and broken triangular pediment.
Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840,
(John Murray), 1978, P.468; Salop Records Office, Specification and estimate,
1079, Box 13.
Listing NGR: SO3235592150
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings