History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade I Listed Building in Lydbury North, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4683 / 52°28'6"N

Longitude: -2.9551 / 2°57'18"W

OS Eastings: 335216

OS Northings: 286029

OS Grid: SO352860

Mapcode National: GBR B8.KM4G

Mapcode Global: VH764.Q7M3

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 21 March 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054540

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257038

Location: Lydbury North, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Lydbury North

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Lydbury North

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Lydbury North

Listing Text

SO 38 NE LYDBURY NORTH C.P. LYDBURY NORTH

6/124 Church of St. Michael
and All Angels
21/3/68

GV I

Parish church. Early C12 nave, late C12 chancel and tower with probably
C15 parapet; north transept probably rebuilt in C14; probably C15
south porch; south transept rebuilt in the C17, and the whole restored
in 1901-2 by J.T. Micklethwaite, and the chancel in 1905. Coursed and
uncoursed limestone rubble; nave, south porch and south transept partly
roughcast circa 1901-2,and graded stone slate roofs. C12 cruciform plan
with south porch, west tower, and 2 storey south transept. Tower: 3
stages with string courses, C12 pilaster buttress to east, C17 central
and set back buttresses with set-offs, and circa 1901 diagonal buttresses
to west; corbel table, coped battlemented parapet, and pyramidal cap
with weathervane and flag pole; bell chamber openings on each face with
2 depressed-arched lights, small central rectangular window in each stage
to west, and small central rectangular first stage window to south with
clock on buttress above. Nave: south side: chamfered-arched south door-
way off-centre to left; probably C17 studded door with fleur-de-lys
hinges. Gabled porch with circa 1901 embellishments, including carved
brackets supporting carved cambered tie beam with brattishing above,
weatherboarded gable end, and waney-edged bargeboards; 2-bay C15 roof
with queen strut truss, central arch-braced collar truss and windbraces.
Probably C18 side benches. Circa 1901 two-light leaded mullioned window
high up to left of porch, C12 round-arched window to right of porch, and
probably 1901 segmental-arched 3-light window with hoodmould to far
night. North side: C17 two-light window with Y-tracery to left and
C12 round-arched window to right. South transept: circa 1901 three-light
mullioned first floor window in gable to south and circa 1901 segmental-
headed 3-light ground floor window with returned hoodmould; west front
with catslide over staircase outshut, 2-light mullioned window to west,
and first floor lancet and depressed-arched boarded door to south;
segmental-headed 2-light circa 1901 window in east front. North transept:
2-light north window, and cusped lancets to east and west; circa 1901-2 octagonal
stone stack. Chancel: south side: central round-arched C12 window,
trefoiled ogee-headed lancet to left, and window to right with 2 ogee-
headed lights. North side: three C12 round-arched windows. East end:
diagonal buttresses and circa 1901 moulded bargeboards; circa 1901
depressed-arched 3-light window with panelled tracery and returned
hoodmould; blocked C12 window to left. Interior: probably late C12
pointed tower-arch with scalloped capitals, and blocked former tower
window above; C12 round-arch to north (Plowden) chapel; circa 1901-2
moulded and chamfered arch to south (Walcot) chapel, dying into responds
with carved corbel heads of Queen Victoria and King Edward VII; piscina
in north chapel, chamfered-arched piscina and aumbry in chancel; 4-bay
chancel roof with double purlins, windbraces, arch-braced collar trusses
with V-struts above, and central queen strut truss; 8 bay nave roof with
double purlins, cusped quatrefoil windbraces, arch-braced collar trusses,
end frames with queen strut trusses, and moulded tie beam between fourth
and fifth bays with short braces resting on brackets. Fittings include:
C18 communion rails with bulbous turned balusters, moulded rail, and
central gate; 2 fluted image brackets flanking east window with rare
circa 1640 wooden candlesticks; circa 1901-2 organ and loft to south
in chancel; restored circa C15 rood screen consisting of tall one-
light divisions with pierced traceried panels, traceried blank panels
beneath, moulded muntins with shafts, and C20 battlemented frieze and
cresting; square-headed doorway in north chapel leading to former
rood loft staircase within wall, now blocked; painted Ten Commandments
and Creed in tympanum above screen, signed and dated "Charles Bright,
Churchwarden, 1615"; plain circa 1500 north chapel screen with moulded
muntins; octagonal wooden pulpit dated 1624 with carved panels, central
carved guilloche band, gadrooned frieze, and circa 1901-2 stone base;
restored C17 box pews with carved panels and turned knobs; probably
late C12 font with round bowl in scalloped square block, square base
and wooden cover of 1630; probably C17 alms box to left of south door
with clasp and lock; parish chest; 2 hatchments in south transept.
Monuments include: Johannes Ambler dated 1627, tablet in chancel
consisting of lugged architrave with cherub's head below and cornice
with segmental top above; Elizabeth Walcot dated 1654, tablet in south
chapel consisting of lugged architrave with scrolled sides, double
segmental pediment breaking forward with scrolled keystone, and shield
above; Hester Bright dated 1790, tablet in nave consisting of oval
plaque with crossed palms-below and half urn above; John Bright dated
1806, tablet in chancel consisting of oval plaque with draped urn above.
Cranage, Part 5, PP.403-15; N. Pevsner, p.191,.


Listing NGR: SO3521686029

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.