This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.483 / 52°28'58"N
Longitude: -2.9123 / 2°54'44"W
OS Eastings: 338142
OS Northings: 287618
OS Grid: SO381876
Mapcode National: GBR B9.JRPC
Mapcode Global: VH75Z.GVRF
Entry Name: The Station Bungalow the Station House
Listing Date: 2 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054541
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257042
Location: Lydbury North, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Lydbury North
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Lydbury North
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 38 NE LYDBURY NORTH C.P. PLOWDEN
6/128 The Station House and
- The Station Bungalow
Station building and Stationmaster's house, now 2 houses. Circa 1865.
Red brick with grey brick dressings, sandstone cills and lintels, and
slate roofs. Shallow H-plan station building to north-west and station-
master's house to south-east forming L-plan; simplified Tudor Gothic
style. One and 2 storeys. Plinth and decorative pierced bargeboards
with finials; stationmaster's house with semi-integral end stack to
south-west and external lateral stack to north-west, and station
building with stack off-ridge to north-west. Wooden 2 and 3-light cross
casements. North-east front: former stationmaster's house to left with
gable to front, first floor cross window and ground floor 3-light window;
left-hand return front: 3 windows; slightly projecting to left with
gabled semi-dormer; central panelled door with C20 glazed lean-to porch.
Former station building slightly projecting to right: projecting gabled
wings, that to left with 3-light window, that to right with 2-light
casement, and both with slit openings above. Pentice roof over recessed
centre with canted bay to right and C20 half-glazed door to left with
overlight; VR post box in wall to left. Recessed trefoiled stone panel
to rear. C20 lean-to addition to north-west. Plowden was an intermediate
station on the former Bishop's Castle Railway (closed 1935) and was
probably more elaborate than the others on the line because it also
served the Plowden Hall estate (q.v.). The Bishop's Castle Railway was
part of an uncompleted scheme to link Craven Arms with Montgomery in
1865; it operated under receivership from 1866 until its closure in
1935, but was never absorbed and remained independant to the end.
Edward Griffith, The Bishop's Castle Railway, (Kingfisher Railway
Publications, May 1983).
Listing NGR: SO3814287618
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings