This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4816 / 52°28'53"N
Longitude: -2.9426 / 2°56'33"W
OS Eastings: 336081
OS Northings: 287491
OS Grid: SO360874
Mapcode National: GBR B8.JQ7L
Mapcode Global: VH75Y.YW7H
Entry Name: Totterton Hall
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054542
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257045
Location: Lydbury North, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Lydbury North
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Lydbury North
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 38 NE LYDBURY NORTH C.P. TOTTERTON
6/131 Totterton Hall
Country house. Circa 1814, possibly built or altered by John Carline
of Shrewsbury for the Rev. J. Bright. Red brick with ashlar dressings
and slate roof, hipped to left. Simple Classical style. 2 storeys.
Ashlar plinth, first floor cill bands, moulded brick eaves cornice with
dentils; central triangular pedimented gable breaking through eaves
with moulded brick verge, and 5 ridge stacks. 2:1:2 bays, centre wider;
giant order of pilaster strips with recessed stone capitals, C19 metal
cross windows (probably formerly glazing bar sashes) with gauged heads
and stone cills. 2 steps to 2 central half-glazed doors with stone
architrave; ashlar porch with coupled Roman Doric columns and pilasters
supporting half architrave, frieze, cornice and blocking course.
South front: 3 bays; centre bay with ground floor tripartite glazing
bar sash and open triangular pedimented gable above with moulded brick
verge. Picture gallery set back to north: one storey. Plinth,
moulded brick cornice with dentils, stone coped parapet and parapeted
gable-end to right. 3 bays divided by pilaster strips with cornice
breaking forward above. Blind windows with gauged heads and stone cills.
Interior: moulded cornices, soffits with paterae at corners, ceiling
roses, and panelled doors with reeded architraves; ballroom with graded
floor boards; dog-leg staircase with winders and half landing, wrought
iron balustrade with moulded wooden rail, and arcaded screen to landing.
Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840,
John Murray, 1978, p.187; Shropshire Records Office, 807-612.
Listing NGR: SO3608187491
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings