History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Town Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bishop's Castle, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4943 / 52°29'39"N

Longitude: -2.9979 / 2°59'52"W

OS Eastings: 332344

OS Northings: 288950

OS Grid: SO323889

Mapcode National: GBR B6.HW12

Mapcode Global: VH75X.ZKHR

Entry Name: The Town Hall

Listing Date: 28 July 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054552

English Heritage Legacy ID: 256962

Location: Bishop's Castle, Shropshire, SY9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bishop's Castle

Built-Up Area: Bishop's Castle

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bishop's Castle

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bishops Castle

Listing Text

SO 3288 BISHOP'S CASTLE C.P. HIGH STREET (west side)

12/52 The Town Hall
-
28/7/50
GV II*

Town Hall. Circa 1765 with mid- to late-C19 remodelling. Red brick
(English bond) with sandstone ashlar base and dressings (refaced with
cement render in C19), and slate roof, hipped to south. Rectangular
plan. Basement and 2 storeys. South front: rusticated basement
and end pilaster strips, ground floor moulded impost band, moulded
stone cornice, and central triangular pediment; central wooden cupola
consisting of square base with clocks. to south, east and west,
cornice, and octagonal bell-stage with Doric columns, frieze, cornice
and ogee lead cap with weathervane; flagpole at rear. First floor
Venetian window with plain architrave, ground floor round-arched
window with late-C19 cast iron glazing bars, moulded architrave,
and keystone; 2 circular basement windows with wrought-iron grilles.
5 bay east and west fronts; first floor glazing bar sashes with flush
frames and gauged brick heads with keystones, second and fourth to
east and that at right to west, blind; ground floor round-arched windows
with fluted keystones, continuous moulded impost band, and partly
blocked with late-C19 cast-iron glazing bars above; boarded double
doors to north in east and west fronts; public lavatories in former
lock-up in basement to south. Interior: entrance hall to north with
office above, and ground floor hall to south with Courtroom (probably
former Council Chamber) above; C18 L-shaped staircase in entrance
hall with landing, open string, heavy turned balusters (2 per tread)
moulded ramped handrail, and columnular newel posts; possibly C18
'bench' in Courtroom, 2 bays with pilasters and raised panels. Bishop's
Castle was a notorious 'rotten borough' before the 1832 Reform Bill
and was the smallest in England at its demise in 1967; the Town Clerk's
office in the Town Hall contains many old prints of the town, some
commemorative items, such as clocks etc., and also many of the old
borough records. B.O.E., p.76; Michael Moulder, A Shell Guide to
Shropshire, Faber and Faber, 1972.


Listing NGR: SO3234488950

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.