This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4954 / 52°29'43"N
Longitude: -2.9986 / 2°59'54"W
OS Eastings: 332303
OS Northings: 289074
OS Grid: SO323890
Mapcode National: GBR B6.HVVG
Mapcode Global: VH75X.ZJ4X
Entry Name: Remains of Castle on Castle Site
Listing Date: 28 July 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054569
English Heritage Legacy ID: 256906
Location: Bishop's Castle, Shropshire, SY9
Civil Parish: Bishop's Castle
Built-Up Area: Bishop's Castle
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bishop's Castle
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 3288 and SO 3289
BISHOP'S CASTLE C.P.
Remains of Castle on Castle Site
Defensive walls. Castle founded circa 1100 for the Bishops of Hereford;
now no more than sundry walls standing between 20 and 3 feet high in
considerable earthworks. Coursed limestone rubble. Original plan:
petrified motte and bailey. Some of the masonry is thought to be C14,
and one C12 buttress is thought to be identifiable at NGR SO 32382
89048. Sections of the wall survive behind Nos. 10-20 (even), Market
Square (Nos. 10 and 20 not listed) and Nos. 2-8 (even), Welsh Street,
and behind Nos. 1-5 (odd), Bull Street (Nos. 3 and 5 not listed) and
bound the Public Park on the east side. The motte is encircled partly
by a rebuilt retaining wall incorporating stretches of mediaeval masonry.
Confusingly the best surviving section to the north-east is incorporated
in a wall which continues both to the north-west and south-east (neither
extension included). Other walls included in this item may well be of
medieval date, particularly the stretch between the south-east corner
of the motte and the middle of the bailey. The top of the motte has been
levelled to form a bowling green with a summerhouse (q.v.). In the
bailey various buildings, mostly of post-1700 date, demonstrate how,
at the end of the C17, the castle was allowed to decay.
Listing NGR: SO3230389074
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings