History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Harp House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop's Castle, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4912 / 52°29'28"N

Longitude: -2.998 / 2°59'52"W

OS Eastings: 332335

OS Northings: 288607

OS Grid: SO323886

Mapcode National: GBR B6.J2LF

Mapcode Global: VH75X.ZNF4

Entry Name: Harp House

Listing Date: 28 July 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054583

English Heritage Legacy ID: 256944

Location: Bishop's Castle, Shropshire, SY9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bishop's Castle

Built-Up Area: Bishop's Castle

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bishop's Castle

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bishops Castle

Listing Text

SO 3288 BISHOP'S CASTLE C.P. CHURCH STREET (east side)

12/34 No. 26 (Harp House)
-
28/7/50
GV II

House, latterly inn. Early- to mid-C16, refaced and eaves raised probably
in late-C18, and extended in mid- to late-C19. Timber framed with herringbone
brick nogging to left and rendered to right, and painted limestone rubble
plinth; C19 slate and graded stone slate roof with catslide over outshut
to right at rear. Probable former open hall of 2 framed bays to right and
2 framed bay cross wing projecting to left. One storey and attic, 2 storeys
and 2 storeys and attic to left at near. Brick ridge stack off-centre
to right and lateral stack to left of cross wing at rear. Framing: square
panels and close studding, decorative herringbone framing, vertical cable
moulding, and corner braces. Hall range: 2 first floor late-C20 casements
to left; ground floor mid- to late-C19 painted brick and timber framed
square bay to right with horizontally sliding sashes to right and 6-light
window to left; late-C20 boarded door to left. Cross wing: jettied
first floor and gable-end with moulded bressumers and brackets; 2-light
C20 attic casement in gable-end and ground floor late-19 twenty-pane
glazing bar sash; evidence of blocked first floor window beneath gable
jetty. Queen strut truss exposed in gable-end to right. Late-C20 garage
block to right. Interior: central raised-cruck truss to hall range.
Close studded wall separating hall range and cross wing with wall
painting on ground floor in cross wing depicting female figure and flowers
etc. No. 26 is reputed to have been The Harp Inn in 1642, though it was
probably a house before that date.


Listing NGR: SO3233588607

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.