This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5306 / 52°31'50"N
Longitude: -2.9646 / 2°57'52"W
OS Eastings: 334658
OS Northings: 292958
OS Grid: SO346929
Mapcode National: GBR B7.FQSM
Mapcode Global: VH75R.KNKF
Entry Name: Stables at Linley Hall
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054589
English Heritage Legacy ID: 256855
Location: More, Shropshire, SY9
Civil Parish: More
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: More
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 39 SW MORE C.P. LINLEY
6/10 Stables at Linley Hall
Stable block. C.1740 (incorporating parts of an earlier building) with later
alterations. By Henry Joynes, architect of Linley Hall (q.v.). Coursed rubble
blocks with brick dressings, slate roofs. 4 sides enclosing a rectangular
cobbled courtyard. 2 storeys throughout; main facades on east and south.
East front. 3:2:3 windows; C19 cross casements, 5 blind on ground floor;
slightly projecting central portion rising to pediment with stone modillion
cornice; central round-arched entrance with iron-studded double doors and
tympanum, stone modillion eaves cornice with parapet above; bell turret with
lead covered cupola and weathervane in centre to ridge. South front. 1:2:3:2:1
windows; 6-paned sashes, slightly projecting central portion rising to pediment
with stone modillion cornice; central door with Gibbs surround and pediment,
further entrances to left and right, pediments on scrolled brackets; bell
turret as on east front in centre to ridge. The 2 gables behind to the courtyard
are part of an earlier building incorporated (see the straight joints).
West front. 3 large round-arched openings, open to centre, those to either
side with large radiating fanlights over double doors; glazing bar sashes,
one to left hand end, 2 to right; bell turret to centre as on east and south
fronts. Plain north front of no architectural interest. Country Life
Vol. 130, Sept. 7 1961, No.3366, P.504.
Listing NGR: SO3465892958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings