History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in More, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5176 / 52°31'3"N

Longitude: -2.9697 / 2°58'10"W

OS Eastings: 334296

OS Northings: 291524

OS Grid: SO342915

Mapcode National: GBR B7.GHK0

Mapcode Global: VH75R.GZXC

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 2 March 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054594

English Heritage Legacy ID: 256860

Location: More, Shropshire, SY9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: More

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: More

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Norbury

Listing Text

SO 39 SW MORE C.P. MORE

6/15 Church of St Peter
2.2.68

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and 1640; rebuilt 1845 and extended 1871. Coursed rubble,
slate to tower and chancel roofs, plain tiles to nave and north transept.
Nave, chancel, west tower, long north transept and vestry. Massive squat
tower probably early C13; paired lancet window in west wall and pointed doorway
to south of 1845, above, narrow rectangular slit openings are original;
the tower is capped by the 'double pyramidal top', characteristic of the
area (c.f. Clun and Hopesay), and which probably dates to C17; roughcast belfry
with 2 lines of wooden louvres surmounted by a pyramidal roof with weathercock.
Long buttressed nave of 5 bays in the lancet style of 1845, all the windows
have hoodmoulds except one smaller lancet at the west end of the north wall;
continuous 2 bay chancel of same style and date; East window of 2 cusped
lights with cinquefoil above, also contemporary is the vestry to the north.
North transept of 1640, round-headed window on east side while that on west
has a slightly more pointed head, the doorway in the east wall (under a late
C19 stone porch) has a depressed 4 centred arch; the transept was extended
by one bay to the north in 1871 (see the straight joint) and has lancets
in the east and west walls, the north wall, however, has a window with debased
Y-tracery, re-used from the old north wall. Interior. Mid C19 staircase
with turned balusters on north side of tower leads to a west gallery supported
on 2 cast-iron shafts; hammerbeam roofs to nave, chancel and southern part
of transept (1845); steep pitched roof to northern extension of transept
(1871); mid C19 box pews, reading desk and pulpit incorporate C17 woodwork;
the tub-shaped font on a later pedestal is probably medieval but of indeterminate
date; inlaid in the floor nearby are 2 portions of Roman tessellated pavement,
said to have come from the villa at Linley, excavated in 1855. Mid C19 and
early C20 stained glass; probably medieval parish chest and C19 texts in
the tower. The only monuments of note are in the north transept (originally
built above the burial vault of the More family in 1640 - see the marble
tablet on the west wall); on the north wall a memorial to Harriott Mary More
(died 1851) by Field of London, she stands leaning on a pedestal with an
urn, in the floor in front an engraved brass coat of arms; funeral hatchments
(C18?) to the family on the east and west walls; also in the transept are
2 C17 oak presses which formerly contained the church library, presented
by Richard More to the churchwardens in 1680. B.0.E. p.203; Cranage, Vol.5
Pp.420-1.


Listing NGR: SO3429691524

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.