This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5666 / 52°33'59"N
Longitude: -2.8827 / 2°52'57"W
OS Eastings: 340264
OS Northings: 296891
OS Grid: SO402968
Mapcode National: GBR BC.CDYN
Mapcode Global: WH8CB.PRG8
Entry Name: Church of St Margret
Listing Date: 21 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054604
English Heritage Legacy ID: 256889
Location: Ratlinghope, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Ratlinghope
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ratlinghope
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 49 NW RATLINGHOPE C.P. RATLINGHOPE
5/44 Church of St Margaret
Parish church. Medieval origins, rebuilt early C17 and c.1788, restored
in mid to late C19 and again more thoroughly in 1904/5. Coursed and uncoursed
rubble (largely quartzite to south and local limestone to north), slate roof.
Nave and chancel in one with belfry at west end; south porch and lean-to vestry
at north-west corner of nave. Nave. 2 windows on south, early C20 lancets
with foliated label-stops to the hoodmoulds; weatherboarded belfry with
pyramidal cap and weathervane; in the west wall a tablet records the restoration
and re-opening of the church in 1905, below this a wide round headed window,
also of 1905. Chancel. One lancet in south wall in same style as those in
nave, contemporary 3-light East window. Gabled south porch with segmental
arch covers an early C17 round headed doorway; the door itself is nail studded
and has the inscription "Anno Domini 1625 made and given by Humphrey Biggs and
Tho. Bright then Churchwardens." Interior. Tie and collar beam roof in 4 bays
with double purlins, the 2 western trusses probably being early C17; oak
communion table with initials TD CP JW 1844 may in fact be rather older; mid-
C18 wrought-iron communion rail and some contemporary oak panelling re-used
as wainscoting at the East end and around the walls of the nave. The plain
octagonal font comes from Great Hanwood; all the other furnishings and stained
glass are of 1905. Until the Dissolution the church served the Augustinian
Priory, established here during C12 and which by c.1209 had become a dependent
cell of Wigmore Abbey (Herefs.). Cranage, Vol.5 p.424; B.O.E. Pp.234-5.
Listing NGR: SO4026496891
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings