History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pradoe Including Attached Service Ranges and Outbuildings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ruyton-XI-Towns, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8173 / 52°49'2"N

Longitude: -2.9534 / 2°57'12"W

OS Eastings: 335842

OS Northings: 324849

OS Grid: SJ358248

Mapcode National: GBR 77.VH36

Mapcode Global: WH8B4.LGT0

Entry Name: Pradoe Including Attached Service Ranges and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 19 January 1952

Last Amended: 21 October 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054637

English Heritage Legacy ID: 256675

Location: Ruyton-XI-Towns, Shropshire, SY11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Ruyton-XI-Towns

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Find accommodation in
Knockin

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P.
SJ 32 SE

8/123 Pradoe including attached
service ranges and out-
buildings(formerly listed
as Pradoe)

GV II

The entry should be amended to read:-

SJ 32 SE RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P,

8/123 Pradoe including attached
service ranges and out-
buildings(formerly listed
as Pradoe)

GV II*

------------------------------------

RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P. -
SJ 32 SE

8/123 Pradoe including attached
- service ranges and out-
buildings (formerly listed
19.1.52 as Pradoe)

GV II

Small country house. 1785 by John Dovaston for Revd. Pritchard extended
1810-11 and 1812 by John Carline for Thomas Kenyon; further alterations
by John Hiram Haycock in 1816; later additions and alterations. Red brick;
hipped slate roof with central open well. 3 storeys with moulded stone
eaves cornice continued as dentilled brick eaves cornice to right return and chamfered
brick plinth; cellar. 5-window front, glazing bar sashes with gauged heads
except for centre windows on first and second floors, which have shouldered
and eared architraves with rosette emblems to corners and to cill brackets
to first-floor window. Central entrance; mid-C19 half-glazed double doors
with stained glass to borders. 2 windows to left infilled. Single-storey
hip-roofed addition to right by Carline has 2 tall 15-paned glazing bar
sashes with plain stone wedge lintels. Left return has full-height canted
bay to centre; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads and French window to
centre of canted bay also with gauged head. Single-storey addition to
left, also by Carline, has low-pitched hipped roof concealed by moulded
stone eaves cornice and 3 tall 15-Paned glazing bar sashes with plain stone
wedge lintels. Main range has ridge, valley, integral and end stacks,
mainly with tops rebuilt in mid-C19 yellow brick. Late C18 and C19 service
ranges to rear. Mixed red brick and sandstone block construction; slate
roofs, some hipped. 2 storeys with toothed eaves cornices. Mainly glazing
bar sashes but some C19 casements; ridge and end stacks. Single-storey
sandstone block projection to rear on left with hipped graded slate roof
and toothed eaves cornice houses game larder. Two-light stone mullion
window lighting cellar to rear of right return of main block may be part
of an earlier house. Interior. Open-well stone staircase in centralhall
by John Carline (1803-5): decorated cast-iron balusters, open string and
inlaid wreathed and ramped handrail. Two sandstone fluted Doric columns
with antae in former dining room (now library) also probably by Carline.
This room has inset C19 bookcases with canvas maps which can be rolled down
in front of them. Concealed door leads through to dining room extension.
Drawing room extension has monument to Henry, son of Thomas Kenyon by Thomas
Carline, plaster copy of which is in Pradoe Church (q.v.). C18 cast-iron
fireplaces, plaster cornices (some with egg and dart or other moulding),
panelled doors (some with decorated surrounds) and panelled window shutters
throughout. Service ranges retain an unusually large amount of late C18
and C19 features and furnishings: bread ovens, cast-iron sinks and cooking
ranges, larders, shelves etc. 2 former kitchens including one to basement.
Game larder has slate shelves and sink. Sandstone-walled cellars. Set
in a fine parkland landscape. The building history of the house and its
associated estate buildings is exceptionally well documented. Colvin (1978),
pp. 187, 408; information from owner, Col. Kenyon (November 1986).


Listing NGR: SJ3583924844

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.