History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable, Mixing-House, Granary and Cartshed Approximately 50 Metres East of Shevlock Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ruyton-XI-Towns, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8104 / 52°48'37"N

Longitude: -2.9342 / 2°56'3"W

OS Eastings: 337123

OS Northings: 324055

OS Grid: SJ371240

Mapcode National: GBR 78.W1R1

Mapcode Global: WH8B4.WMXC

Entry Name: Stable, Mixing-House, Granary and Cartshed Approximately 50 Metres East of Shevlock Farmhouse

Listing Date: 21 August 1986

Last Amended: 21 October 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054639

English Heritage Legacy ID: 256682

Location: Ruyton-XI-Towns, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Ruyton-XI-Towns

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Ruyton-in-the-XI Towns St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Ruyton of the Eleven Towns

Listing Text

RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P. -
SJ 32 SE

8/130 Stable, mixing-house,
- granary and cartshed
approx. 50m east of
21.8.86 Shelvock Farmhouse
(formerly listed as
Stable, mixing-house,
granary and cartshed,
Shelvock Farm)

GV II*

Stable, mixing-house, granary and cartshed. Mid-to late C17, extended to
left in 1860 (datestone). Square and coursed sandstone blocks, on plinth
to C17 part, with angle quoins. Slate roof: Stables to right, part conver-
ted to cowhouses in C20, and cartshed, tackroom, mixing-house with granary
over to left. 2 levels. C17 part has segmental-headed boarded doors
to left, right and centre with chamfered 2-light mullion window between
left and centre doorways. C20 fixed-light windows to either side of right
doorway. 2 boarded eaves hatches to centre. C19 addition has chamfered
2-light mullion windows directly below eaves and to ground floor to left
and right. Segmental-headed boarded door and wider segmental-arched vehicle
entry with boarded double doors between ground-floor windows. Illegible
datestone to left gable end said formerly to have had a C17 date. Datestone
directly below eaves between 2 mullion windows reads "TB / MBO / 1860".
Change of stonework visible to left of centre where 1860 extension was added
to C17 block. Interior. C17 part has double-purlin roof in 5 bays with
straight windbraces and mixture of collar and tie beam trusses and raking
struts from tie beams to principal rafters. C19 part retains many of its
original fittings including hoist machinery, wheel and internal gantry in
granary over mixing-house and stalls in stable. Shelvock Farmhouse is
not included in this list.


Listing NGR: SJ3712324055

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.