History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Summerhouse Attached to West End of Garden Wall at Blodwel Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llanyblodwel, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7979 / 52°47'52"N

Longitude: -3.0976 / 3°5'51"W

OS Eastings: 326091

OS Northings: 322824

OS Grid: SJ260228

Mapcode National: GBR 71.WXQ1

Mapcode Global: WH78Y.DX5Y

Entry Name: Summerhouse Attached to West End of Garden Wall at Blodwel Hall

Listing Date: 19 January 1952

Last Amended: 21 October 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054646

English Heritage Legacy ID: 256597

Location: Llanyblodwel, Shropshire, SY10

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Llanyblodwel

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Llanyblodwel St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Llanyblodwel

Listing Text

LLANYBLODWEL C.P. -
SJ 22 SE

6/49 Summerhouse attached to
- west end of garden wall
19.1.52 at Blodwel Hall [formerly
listed as Summerhouse
and gateway at Blodwell
(sic) Hall, Llyndys (sic)]

GV II*

Summerhouse, now disused. Dated 1718 with minor later alterations.
Red brick with rusticated sandstone ashlar to front and rusticated corner
piers to rear; graded slate roof concealed by coped verges. Square plan.
One storey with moulded eaves cornice continued across and around front
pedimented gable which has cross crosslet-shaped finials to corners and
disfigured carved finial to centre. Elaborately carved armorial device
with trumpets and garlands occupying whole of pediment. Moulded round-
headed arch to centre has plain pilasters and carved male head with gaping
mouth as keystone. Segmental-headed plank door in red brick wall across
lower part of arch is C19 insertion. Partially infilled window with
moulded eared architrave to left return has original slots for wooden
bars or stone transoms. Part of what appears to be a fragment of centre
finial was lying on ground by entrance at time of resurvey (October 1986).
Plain datestone inscribed "1718" to rear gable. Interior. In poor
condition at time of resurvey. Semi-circular wooden fanlight of former-
doorway lying on floor. Painted round-headed niches to back wall and
remains of coved plaster ceiling with wooden cornice. B.o.E. p. 171.


Listing NGR: SJ2609122824

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.