This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7916 / 52°47'29"N
Longitude: -2.9794 / 2°58'45"W
OS Eastings: 334049
OS Northings: 322009
OS Grid: SJ340220
Mapcode National: GBR 76.X2S3
Mapcode Global: WH8BB.63H6
Entry Name: Knockin Hall with Flanking Walls and Attached Outbuildings
Listing Date: 21 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054681
English Heritage Legacy ID: 256583
Location: Knockin, Shropshire, SY10
Civil Parish: Knockin
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Knockin St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
KNOCKIN C.P. THE AVENUE (south side)
SJ 32 SW
7/35 Knockin Hall with flank-
- ing walls and attached
Small country house with flanking walls and attached outbuildings.
Circa 1790 with mid-C19 and late C20 additions and alterations. Red
brick with stone dressings; double-span slate roof with coped verges
on carved stone kneelers; parapet and valley stacks to left and right.
Double-depth main block of 3 bays with single-bay 3-storey range to right
and flanking walls with outbuildings behind. 3 storeys and attic with
moulded stone eaves cornice and painted stone floor bands. 3 windows;
mainly glazing bar sashes with painted stone wedge lintels but those
to centre and right on first floor actually late C20 top-hung casements
designed to look like tripartite sashes. Early C20 French window to
left leads to top of canted bay, one of 2 flanking central entrance with
horned glazing bar sash to each face and moulded stone parapet, said
to be c.1846. Late C19 half-glazed door with windows to left and right
and continuous rectangular overlight under late C20 six-columned porch
with moulded entablature carried forward from canted bays. Wide C20
casements with segmental stone lintels to range attached to right, which
has integral end stack with dentilled capping. Late C18 pointed window
with Gothic Y-tracery on second floor to left gable end. Rear range
has mixture of late C18 and C19 windows to rear elevation. C19 casements
on second floor to left and right of central horizontal sliding sash
with projecting keystone to painted stone wedge lintel. First floor
has 16-paned glazing bar sashes with projecting keystones to painted
stone wedge lintels to left and night and narrow cross window with similar
lintel to left of central mid-C19 round-arched fixed-light window.
Late C20 flat-roofed addition projecting to ground floor is not of special
architectural interest. Flanking walls to front contemporary with house
but tops rebuilt and balustrade added in late C20. Right wall is in
original form beyond late C20 semi-circular projection (not of special
architectural interest): red brick with ramped stone coping and terminates
in single-storey corner building with pyramidal graded slate roof and
dentilled eaves cornice. Left wall has outbuilding behind in angle
with house: red brick with pyramidal graded slate roof, dentilled eaves
cornice and two 16-paned glazing bar sashes with horns to front. Interior.
Only partial inspection possible at time of resurvey (November 1986).
Top-lit open-well staircase in central hall has turned balusters, 3 to
each tread, on open string with carved brackets; wreathed moulded handrail.
Columns in hall are late C20 as is plaster cornice. 6-panel doors to
left and right are original and chamfered cross beam with ogee stops
is probably reused from an earlier house.
Listing NGR: SJ3404922009
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings