This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.789 / 51°47'20"N
Longitude: -0.1427 / 0°8'33"W
OS Eastings: 528196
OS Northings: 211667
OS Grid: TL281116
Mapcode National: GBR J9B.SW6
Mapcode Global: VHGPM.G9XD
Entry Name: Panshanger South Lodge with Gate Piers and Gatehouse
Listing Date: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054752
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356158
Location: Hertingfordbury, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG14
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Hertingfordbury
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hertingfordbury
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
HERTINGFORDBURY COLE GREEN
TL 21 SE
No. 1 (Panshanger South
Lodge) with Gate Piers
Lodge to Panshanger Estate (q.v.). c.1830-40 for 5th Earl Cowper . Stock
brick, rendered dressings. Slate roofs. Tudor Revival Style. 1 storey. 1
bay to each side of square main block. To front a 2 light small pane
casement with Gothic leaded lights, chamfered surround with Tudor arched
outer head, hood mould. Above a recessed plaque with Cowper arms, hood
mould. 2 stage set back buttresses. Cornice to tall coped parapet. Left
end to drive has projecting entrance porch, steps up to door with
chamfered Tudor arched surround. Cornice to tall coped parapet. Blind
lancet over porch, parapet and buttresses as to front. To rear as at
front with shield on plaque showing a tree. Right end slightly extruded
stack with 3 octagonal shafts. Extending to right and to rear is a lower
range, a single light casement to front, parapet, similar casements to
rear. Interior not inspected. Extending to left across drive are iron
gates with X bracing, spear headed railings. 2 octagonal buttressed
ashlar piers with moulded cornices to larger octagonal caps. Small
gatehouse attached to left end of gates is red brick, square on plan.
Facing lodge are steps up to a plank and muntin door with a rendered
chamfered Tudor arched surround. Above a blind lancet, cornice to coped
parapet. To front and rear are Gothic single light casements with hood
moulds. (Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TL2819611667
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings