This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4435 / 51°26'36"N
Longitude: 0.3697 / 0°22'10"E
OS Eastings: 564779
OS Northings: 174271
OS Grid: TQ647742
Mapcode National: GBR NMK.J80
Mapcode Global: VHJLC.CZ9B
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054761
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356359
Location: Gravesham, Kent, DA11
Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside
Built-Up Area: Gravesend
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Gravesend St George
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
5277 HIGH STREET
The Town Hall
TQ 6474 SE 1/5 23.1.52.
This building was erected in 1836 on the site of the earlier Town Hall designed
by C Sloane in 1764. It cost £3,000 and was built by the Brighton Architect,
Amon Henry Wilds, in imitation of the Parthenon at Athens. Sandstone ashlar.
The front has a massive tetrastyle portico of fluted Doric columns with triglyph
frieze and small shields of the Arms of Gravesend Borough in the metopes. Pediment
above, originally surmounted by the figures of Minerva, Justice and Truth but
these were removed in 1949. 3 windows beneath the portico at 1st floor level.
On the ground floor 1 window and a wide entrance to an open passage which leads
to the Market behind the Town Hall. Recessed portion on each side of the portico
containing 1 triple window on ground and 1st floors with pilasters between the
lights. The south ground floor window is now blocked. Triglyph frieze and parapet
above these flanking portions. Glazing bars intact. Over the portico is the
inscription: - "Rebuilt 1836 in the Mayoralties of M Troughton and R Oakes Esquires.
A H Wilds Architect", and over the entrance to the passage:- Re-constructed during
the Mayoralty of George H Edmonds Esq 1882-3". The inside was further altered
Listing NGR: TQ6477974271
Other nearby listed buildings