History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grand Union Canal Little Braunston Lock Keepers Cottage and Spillway at Bridge Number 3

A Grade II Listed Building in Braunston, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2894 / 52°17'21"N

Longitude: -1.1997 / 1°11'58"W

OS Eastings: 454684

OS Northings: 265993

OS Grid: SP546659

Mapcode National: GBR 8RM.HHN

Mapcode Global: VHCV5.5Q4B

Entry Name: Grand Union Canal Little Braunston Lock Keepers Cottage and Spillway at Bridge Number 3

Listing Date: 11 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054856

English Heritage Legacy ID: 360968

Location: Braunston, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Braunston

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Braunston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Braunston

Listing Text

BRAUNSTON GRAND UNION CANAL
SP56NW Little Braunston
4/77 Lock Keepers Cottage and
spillway at bridge No.3

- II

Cottage. c.1800. Remodelled late C19. Brick, tile roof, brick stack to right.
T-plan. Two storeys; one bay. Doorway on left has plank door and wood lintel
continued over 2-light casement window to right. One-light casement window with
plain brick frame to first floor. Extension to left, brick, slate roof, one
storey, one bay has one-light transomed window with wood lintel. Extension to
rear, brick, tile roof, central stack. One storey, 2 bays. Brick arch to
spill-way below with blue brick adjoining walls flanking channel from the canal
Two 2-light C20 casement windows with brick frames to ground and first floor.
Interior not inspected. The Grand Junction Canal was authorised by Act of
Parliament in 1793, The Braunston section was complete by 1796. In 1929 it was
taken over by the Grand Union Canal Company and the name was changed. (A.H.
Faulkner; The Grand Junction Canal, 1972).


Listing NGR: SP5468465993

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.