History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Everdon Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Everdon, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2192 / 52°13'9"N

Longitude: -1.131 / 1°7'51"W

OS Eastings: 459461

OS Northings: 258245

OS Grid: SP594582

Mapcode National: GBR 8SH.WBP

Mapcode Global: VHCVL.BHX3

Entry Name: Everdon Hall

Listing Date: 29 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054875

English Heritage Legacy ID: 360703

Location: Everdon, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Everdon

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Everdon St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Church Stowe

Listing Text

EVERDON
SP55NE Little Everdon
8/72 Everdon Hall
- II
Country house. c.l820 with additions and extensive remodelling of c.1900.
Coursed squared ironstone, some brick, slate roofs, stone end, ridge and
internal stacks. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys. Entrance front has central
part-glazed door in tall eared moulded stone surround. Stone porch with coupled
pilasters innermost and coupled pillars of rectangular section on high plinths
with incised capitals. Recessed 3-bay centre, of red brick on ironstone plinth
with stone-coped parapet, has 12-pane sash windows to ground and first floors
with stone sills and flat-arched heads, and central 6-pane window with
flat-arched head to attic storey. Slightly projecting 2-bay wings have similar
12-pane sash-windows to ground and first floors except for tripartite sash
window to ground floor of right wing and one 9-pane window to attic storey
either side with stone sills and moulded stone lintels probably re-used. Wings
of coursed squared ironstone with quoins to level of heads of first floor
windows of left wing, and to level of head of ground floor window of right wing,
both with stone coped gables with kneelers to outer ends and end stacks with 3
tall stone stacks either side. C20 2-storey brick service wing with hipped tile
roof to left. Park front of 2 storeys, has full height canted bay window to
left, a central 3-bay full height shallow segmental bay window and gabled wing
to right slightly set back with verandah to ground floor; all work of c.1900 and
of coursed squared ironstone with limestone dressings. Interior: hall has inner
screen of unfluted Roman Doric columns of painted wood, with stone cantilever
staircase rising in confined well behind. Fine Edwardian interiors in a rich
Georgian manner especially the Billiard Room; Regency style Drawing Room. The
Oak Room upstairs has fielded panelling and fitted cupboard with shaped shelves,
probably the panelling said to have been removed from the Old House (q.v.) and
installed at the Hall. The house was built after 1800 for General Doveton and
may incorporate parts of the farmhouse originally on the site.


Listing NGR: SP5946158245

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.