History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Scarcliffe, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2135 / 53°12'48"N

Longitude: -1.2596 / 1°15'34"W

OS Eastings: 449543

OS Northings: 368750

OS Grid: SK495687

Mapcode National: GBR 8DB.DDX

Mapcode Global: WHDFK.MHF9

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 8 July 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054908

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79317

Location: Scarcliffe, Bolsover, Derbyshire, S44

County: Derbyshire

District: Bolsover

Civil Parish: Scarcliffe

Built-Up Area: Scarcliffe

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Scarcliffe St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Bolsover

Listing Text

SK 56 NE PARISH OF SCARCLIFFE MAIN STREET, SCARCLIFFE
7/148 (North Side)
Church of St Leonard
8.7.66 II*


Parish church. C12, C13, C16, tower rebuilt in 1842, C19 restoration. Coursed
squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Lead and welsh slate roofs. West tower,
nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel. The tower has a stop chamfered
plinth and is divided into four stages by moulded string courses. Clasping
buttresses to half height. On the south side the second stage has a sundial and a
circular clock face to the third stage. The fourth stage has bell-openings of three
double-chamfered lancets with continuous hoodmould. To the west is a double-
chamfered doorway, a 2-light window with bar tracery and hoodmould above, a tiny
chamfered lancet above again, and bell-openings as to the south. The north side of
the tower is embraced by the vestry which forms a western continuation of the aisle.
Small lancet window above, and bell-openings as to the south and west. Similar bell-
openings to the east. Battlemented parapet and four pinnacles. Lean-to north aisle
has a pair of chamfered lancets to the west vestry. To the north is a single
chamfered doorway. The older part of the aisle has a flat-arched window with double
chamfered surround and square leaded glazing. To the left is a 2-light window with
square section mullion and square leaded glazing. A further similar flat-arched
window to the left again. Four buttresses. Clerestory of three small rectangular
chamfered lights. Small rectangular east window with wave moulding. The north side
of the chancel shows evidence of later raising. Interrrupted sill band. Cusped 2-
light window with hoodmould, a blocked flat-arched doorway, a chamfered lancet and a
tall blocked lancet. Angle buttresses. The chancel has an east window of three
cusped lights under a segmental pointed arch. Hoodmould on headstops. The south
side of the chancel has a round-arched doorway with dogtooth. Hoodmould with
stylised headstops and dogtooth. Panelled door. To the right is a tall chamfered
lancet, and to the left a 3-light segment-pointed arched window with cusped lights.
The south side of the nave is battlemented and has irregular fenestration. From the
east, there are two large 3-light flat-arched windows with bead moulded surrounds
and mullions. The second one has a blocked light. Then another flat-arched window
of 2-lights with cusped segment headed lights and short mullions rising from the
apex of each light. All three windows are set close together. Deeply projecting
gabled south porch has a single chamfered pointed-arched entrance. Above the porch
is a small rectangular window with wave moulded surround. To the left is a tall
cross window set in a deeply chamfered surround with triangular head. Stone seats
in the south porch. Interior: C12 south doorway with one order of colonettes, one
roll-moulding in the arch, and a lintel with inscribed wheels, stars and saltire
crosses. Scalloped capital. Pair of C19 panelled doors. North arcade of four bays,
with double-chamfered round arches and a hoodmould with two headstops. Semi-
circular west respond, then a circular pier, a quatrefoil pier and capital with
nailhead, then an octagonal pier and a semi-octagonal respond. Plainly chamfered
doorway into the tower with a lancet above. Doorway at the east end of the arcade
set up, from the aisle into the rood loft. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner
order on semi-circular responds with scallop capitals, the outer order dying into the
imposts. Tomb in the south east corner of the nave; an effigy of a lady (probably
Constantia de Frecheville who died in 1175). A child in her arms, her head resting on
a lion, with a huge scroll of Leonine verse. C13. Charity board above dated 1832.
The chancel has a number of C19 memorial tablets. Mid-Victorian stained glass in
most chancel windows. North aisle east window 1902 by M. Lowndes, with strong
modelling to the figures. Small octagonal font like a baluster, the octagonal cover
dated 1688.


Listing NGR: SK4954368750

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.