This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3958 / 52°23'44"N
Longitude: -2.9317 / 2°55'54"W
OS Eastings: 336697
OS Northings: 277938
OS Grid: SO366779
Mapcode National: GBR B9.Q0XF
Mapcode Global: VH76K.41GQ
Entry Name: Remains of Castle, Hopton Castle
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257671
Location: Hopton Castle, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Hopton Castle
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Hopton Castle
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 37 NE
HOPTON CASTLE C.P.
Castle, remains of.
(Formerly listed as Hopton Castle)
Castle, remains of. Probably early C14 with later additions and alterations.
Regularly coursed shale (traces of former render surviving) with sandstone
ashlar dressings; now roofless. Only keep on roughly circular motte
survives; square plan with clasping buttress-like rectangular corner
turrets. 3 levels with moulded string course to ground floor carried
right around structure; roughly dressed angle quoins. North elevation:
recessed double-chamfered moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould and
outline of former gable above in angle with right turret, which has narrow
rectangular chamfered opening on first floor. Similar openings on both
ground and first floors to left turret. Corbelled projection above
doorway with chamfered stone cap has cusped lancet to centre, similar
lancet to left within larger infilled pointed opening. Chamfered rectangular
window to left of doorway with segmental relieving arch. West elevation:
narrow rectangular openings to turrets. Ruinous segmental-headed doorway
in angle with right turret has segmental-pointed window (mutilated) on
first floor to left. South elevation: narrow rectangular openings to
turrets and large opening to centre retaining fragments of moulding to
jambs; cusped lancet below extending through string course. Slight
rectangular projection in angle with left turret on first floor. East
elevation: narrow rectangular openings to turrets. Broad pointed open-
ing (mutilated) to left on first floor and square-headed opening with
moulded label in larger infilled opening to right. Rectangular opening
to ground floor on right has segmental relieving arch. Interior.
Inspection not possible at time of resurvey (September 1986) but right
turret on north elevation has spiral staircase. Extensive earthworks
on all sides, especially well-defined to west in what appears to be bailey.
Water-filled moats and several fragments of masonry visible beneath banks.
Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No. 23. B.o.E. p. 153; V.C.H. I. pp.
395-6; G.T. Clark, Medieval Military Architecture, II (1884), pp. 123-5;
Sir James Mackenzie, The Castles of England, II (1897), pp. 135-6.
Listing NGR: SO3669777938
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings