This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.345 / 52°20'41"N
Longitude: -3.0426 / 3°2'33"W
OS Eastings: 329073
OS Northings: 272387
OS Grid: SO290723
Mapcode National: GBR B4.T9MQ
Mapcode Global: VH76P.6BW6
Entry Name: Knighton Railway Station
Listing Date: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257683
Location: Stowe, Shropshire, LD7
Civil Parish: Stowe
Built-Up Area: Knighton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Stowe
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 27 SE
STATION ROAD (east side)
Knighton Railway Station
Railway station. Dated 1860 with minor later additions and alterations. Regularly coursed and dressed rock-faced limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Machine tile roofs with fishscale bands and ornamental cresting, of truncated pyramidal form to right pavilion of entrance front and half-hipped to right part of former station-master's accommodation. Gothic style. One and two storeys. Entrance front has low centre section with rectangular corner pavilion slightly projecting to right. Former station-master's house attached to left has projecting half-hipped range with catslide roof on one side to right. Station building has paired lancets with roundel above to ground floor of pavilion and to right of centre section, latter partly destroyed by insertion of C20 casement. Segmental-pointed window to centre of centre section also disfigured by insertion of C20 casement; C19 window opening to left also has C20 casement. C19 rectangular chamfered openings with C20 casements to either side of Gothic-style window in pavilion with gabled eaves dormer in roof slope directly above. Two prominent bracketed open gables with elaborately cusped bargeboards and decorated pendants to centre range over small cusped roundels. Former station-master's house has wooden mullioned and transomed C19 window on each floor to projecting range, that to ground floor with segmental-pointed head. Main range has mullioned and transomed window on ground floor and gabled half-dormer directly above. Lean-to porch in angle with projecting range has pointed window with blind trefoil to head to front and pointed doorway to left. Mixed stone and red brick end stacks with octagonal ceramic chimney pots to left and right of centre range of station building and similar internal end stack to left of former station-master's house. Platform side has similar window openings to front, although less altered by insertion of C20 casements. Single-chamfered pointed doorway flanked by three light mullioned and transomed windows to centre section. Date "1860" on blind cusped quatrefoil to rear gable of former station-master's house. Low flat-roofed range attached to right of house has doorways with segmental-pointed heads to centre and right and infilled square-headed window to left. Built for the Knighton Railway which was engineered by Henry Robertson.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 3 November 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings