History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Willows

A Grade II Listed Building in Bucknell, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3598 / 52°21'35"N

Longitude: -2.9497 / 2°56'58"W

OS Eastings: 335424

OS Northings: 273945

OS Grid: SO354739

Mapcode National: GBR B8.SGGM

Mapcode Global: VH76J.TYHD

Entry Name: The Willows

Listing Date: 28 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054995

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257540

Location: Bucknell, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bucknell

Built-Up Area: Bucknell

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bucknell

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bucknell

Listing Text

SO 37 SE; 12/36

BUCKNELL C.P.,
CHAPEL LAWN ROAD (west side),
Bucknell,
The Willows

GV

II

House, now partly used as post office. C14 or C15 core with later additions
and alterations, considerably remodelled c.1920. Roughcast brick and timber
frame of cruck construction with rendered brick addition; slate roof. Original
plan probably an open-hall house of three cruck-framed bays, floored over in C17,
eaves raised and considerably altered c.1920. Two storeys. Three early
C20 casements directly below eaves, five casements to ground floor, three to left of C20
porch with half-glazed door (left mid-C20) and two to right. Gable facing
road is c.1920 addition: two segmental-headed windows on first floor; wide
shuttered shop front to ground floor with segmental-headed doorway and window
to right. Red brick ridge stack to right of original part and C20 integral
red brick end stack to left. Subsidiary external lateral stack to left wall
of C20 addition. Truncated cruck truss exposed to left gable end.

INTERIOR.
Two true cruck trusses, in addition to that exposed to left gable end, survive,
both chamfered with collars plus arch-bracing to right truss. Massive chamfered
spine beam and cross beams to ground floor. Jacobean overmantel to fireplace
beneath ridge stack said to have been brought from Bucknell Cottage (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SO3542473945

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.