History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Clunbury, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.426 / 52°25'33"N

Longitude: -2.9789 / 2°58'44"W

OS Eastings: 333533

OS Northings: 281346

OS Grid: SO335813

Mapcode National: GBR B7.N795

Mapcode Global: VH76B.B911

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 28 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055005

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257568

Location: Clunbury, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Clunbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Clunbury with Clunton

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Clunton

Listing Text

CLUNBURY C.P. CLUNTON
SO 38 SW
3/63
- Church of St. Mary
GV
II

Chapel-of-ease, 1870. Regularly coursed and dressed rock-faced limestone
rubble with ashlar dressings; machine tile roof with ornamental cresting
and iron cross to east gable end. Single cell comprising nave and chancel
in one with west bellcote; north porch. North side has broad cusped
lancet to east and paired broad cusped lancets to east of pointed doorway
under bracketed gabled porch; continuous moulded cill band. Gabled west
bellcote with single cusped opening housing bell. East window of 3
stepped broad cusped lancets. Interior: trussed rafter roof to nave and
chancel; ashlar banding to rubblestone walls. Fittings and furnishings
nearly all contemporary with construction of church including small
octagonal font and 2 sedilia and piscina in south wall. Originally a
dependent chapelry of Clun, Clunton became a chapel-of-ease to Clunbury
when that became a separate parish from Clun in 1341. It is not clear,
however, whether the present building occupies the site of the medieval
chapel. D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 5. (1901),
p. 395.


Listing NGR: SO3353381346

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.