History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Chapel and Attached Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Worthen with Shelve, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6129 / 52°36'46"N

Longitude: -2.9165 / 2°54'59"W

OS Eastings: 338037

OS Northings: 302073

OS Grid: SJ380020

Mapcode National: GBR B9.8JN6

Mapcode Global: WH8C4.5LF8

Entry Name: Baptist Chapel and Attached Cottage

Listing Date: 14 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055006

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257468

Location: Worthen with Shelve, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Worthen with Shelve

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Hope

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Minsterley

Listing Text

WORTHEN C.P. LORDSHILL
SJ 30 SE

6/137 Baptist Chapel and
- attached cottage

- II


Baptist chapel and attached cottage. Dated 1833, re-built 1873 with
later alterations. Stucco with plain tile roof. Chapel: gable front;
fixed-light round-headed windows to either side of gabled porch with
inner 6-panel double doors and one window above to centre; 2 similar
windows to 'ritual' east end. Datestone with inscription 'Erected/AD
1833/Rebuilt/1873' to front with pointed finial above to gable. Cottage:
probably c.1873; one storey and attic, toothed eaves cornice; plate-
glass sashes to left and right of central entrance and to gabled half
dormers directly above; 4-panel door with bracketed lean-to hood; rendered
internal end stack to right. Interior: majority of fittings late C19;
benches, wainscot panelling and reader's desk all of this date but
2 cast-iron columns supporting west gallery may be original. Round-
arched panel behind desk supported by 2 pairs of consoles has the painted
words "Serve the Lord with Gladness"; circular moulded panels to roof.
4-panel door with rectangular overlight in left wall leads to lean-
to vestry. The cottage was formerly the manse and the chapel is described
in the work of Mary Webb, the Shropshire novelist. Its re-building
dates to the period of extensive improvements at the neighbouring Snailbeach
Lead Mine.


Listing NGR: SJ3803702072

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.