This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3761 / 52°22'33"N
Longitude: -2.9285 / 2°55'42"W
OS Eastings: 336888
OS Northings: 275745
OS Grid: SO368757
Mapcode National: GBR B9.RFP0
Mapcode Global: VH76K.6J5V
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055017
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257501
Location: Bedstone, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Bedstone
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bedstone
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
BEDSTONE C.P. BEDSTONE
SO 37 NE
Church of St
Parish church. C12, repaired in 1851 and restored by Kempson of Hereford
in 1879. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; timber
framed bellcote: machine tile roofs have overhanging eaves and corbelled
scissor-bracing to east gable of chancel and west gable of nave; iron crosses
to east gables of nave and chancel. Nave with west bellcote; chancel;
store shed on north. Bellcote: probably C17 but extensively restored
C19 and C20. Timber framed with oak-shingled broach spire surmounted
by brass weathercock. 3 pointed louvred windows to belfry on each side.
Nave: buttresses at north-west and south-west angles have stone slate
caps. Late C19 windows on north and south sides comprise 4 round-headed
openings alternating with 3 similar blind arches; continuous cills.
Small C12 round-headed window to east on south. West end has late C19
round-headed window above contemporary Romanesque-style doorway with chevron
decoration to arch. Chancel: small C12 round-headed window on north.
Taller C19 round-headed window on south. East wall has late C19 round-
headed windows to left and right and one above to centre. Smaller round-
headed window to apex appears to incorporate some earlier (presumably
C12) stone-work. C19 lean-to shed on north in angle with nave has round-
headed doorway on east and window on west. Interior. C19 trussed rafter
roofs with scissor-bracing to nave and chancel with large tie beam at west
end of nave supporting bellcote. Low C12 round-headed chancel arch has
plain chamfered imposts; deep splays to C12 windows. C12 tub-shaped
font has plain semi-circular band to centre and lead lining. Communion
table incorporating C18 turned balusters from former communion rails has
initials "EAM" and date "1721" inscribed. Other fittings and furnishings
late C19, including 4 stained glass windows by Kempe in north wall in
memory of Joseph Henry Brown, rector of Bedstone (1878-99). East window
(c.1879) commemorates his wife, Annie (died 1872). Monuments. 2 plain
early C19 wall memorials over east side of chancel arch. The 1879 restor-
ation cost about £1,200. B.o.E. p. 71; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches
of Shropshire, Part 5 (1901) pp. 376-7; Kell's Directory of Shropshire
Listing NGR: SO3688875745
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings