This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5851 / 52°35'6"N
Longitude: -2.9809 / 2°58'51"W
OS Eastings: 333640
OS Northings: 299034
OS Grid: SO336990
Mapcode National: GBR B7.B6SB
Mapcode Global: WH8C9.59T2
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 21 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257417
Location: Worthen with Shelve, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Worthen with Shelve
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shelve
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SHELVE C.P. SHELVE
SO 39 NW
9/21 Church of All Saints
Parish church. 1839, replacing medieval structure. Uncoursed limestone
rubble with ashlar dressings; machine tile roof and coped verges. Nave
and chancel in one with thin west tower; lancet style. Tower: unbuttressed in
3 stages with plain corbel table above belfry, coped parapet; 3 segmental-
headed openings with voussoirs to belfry and similar window with thin
Y-tracery to second stage on west side; segmental-headed west doorway
with voussoirs and projecting keystone. 3 windows to south wall of
nave and 2 to north (latter with rubble voussoirs instead of ashlar
surrounds), all broad lancets without hoodmoulds. Flat-headed east window
has 3 cusped lights. Interior: plain and simple with majority of fittings
and furnishings late C19; pulpit, reading desk and panelling at east end
made up from C17 pews in former church. Plaster ceiling of c.1839
but cambered tie beam above altar rail comes from previous church.
Crudely carved font reputed to be C13 but the fragments of partly medieval
painted glass around the borders of the nave window are said to have been
brought from another church. B.O.E. pp.242-3; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches
of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905) p.552.
Listing NGR: SO3364099034
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings