History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hampton Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Worthen with Shelve, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6439 / 52°38'38"N

Longitude: -3.0208 / 3°1'14"W

OS Eastings: 331026

OS Northings: 305618

OS Grid: SJ310056

Mapcode National: GBR B5.6GZB

Mapcode Global: WH8BW.KSQZ

Entry Name: Hampton Hall

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055027

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257419

Location: Worthen with Shelve, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Worthen with Shelve

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Worthen

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Meadowtown

Listing Text

WORTHEN C.P. -
SJ 30 NW

2/87 Hampton Hall
-
1.12.51
GV II*


Country house. 1681-86 for Henry Powell, possibly incorporating parts of
and earlier house, altered 1749 for Edward Herbert; later additions
and alterations include range of 1938 set back to rear on left. Red
brick (left wing with thin bricks of mixed English and Flemish bonds);
slate roofs with crow-stepped gable ends to centre section and hipped
to projecting wings. Late C17 house comprised central rectangular
section with projecting wings to left and right; although left may
in fact be a rebuilding of an earlier structure. Central section:
apparently of 3 storeys over semi-basement but actually only of 2 to
left of entrance, partly rebuilt brick parapet with dentilled capping
conceals roof. 7 windows; flush-framed 8-paned glazing bar sashes
with gauged heads, those to ground floor are taller: second tier of
windows consists of pairs of roundels to left and right with 3 blind
rectangular openings to centre; 2 roundels to left are dummies while
that on right has had its original thick glazing bars replaced; semi-
basement has 4 small segmental-headed windows, 2 to left of entrance
blind. Central entrance; sandstone ashlar porch, approached by straight
flight of 12 steps, has round-headed open arches to front and sides
with shaped pediment broken by Herbert coat-of-arms: dated 1749 with
numbers "17" inscribed to left of keystone of front arch and "49" to
right; 8-panel double inner doors. Left wing: projecting brick plinth
has slate capping and may represent part of an earlier building; date
1686 in large sandstone numbers to left and right of second-floor windows
with letters "H P" picked out in brick to centre, refers to completion
of late C17 house. 2 storeys over semi-basement, moulded wooden eaves
cornice and continuous floor band; 2 windows, flush-framed 8-paned
glazing bar sashes with gauged heads to both floors, segmental-headed
openings to semi-basement partly infilled and with later windows inserted.
Left return has 3 glazing bar sashes on each floor, 2 to left and one
to right of integral brick stack, which has recessed rectangular panel
with curious cracker-shaped relief and dentilled band at eaves level;
slate-hung hip-roofed dormers to left and right. Right return has
blocked windows on each floor in angle with centre section. Right
wing; probably slightly later than centre section (see straight joint)
and built to balance existing left wing: 2 storeys over semi-basement
with moulded eaves cornice and floor band as on left wing; 2 glazing
bar sashes on each floor with segmental-headed windows to semi-basement
as in centre section. Right return has 3 segmental-headed windows
with mixture of mid-C19 sashes and casements on each floor and narrow
late C20 casement inserted on first floor; slate-hung hip-roofed dormers
in roof slope, one to left and 3 to right of tall integral lateral
stack with blind openings on each floor within shaft; integral end
stack to right. Most prominent feature is 2-storey bow added to far
left c.1749. Red brick with sandstone ashlar dressings. Moulded cornice
with coped brick parapet surmounted by stone eagle with outspread wings;
Venetian window on first floor with Ionic capitals and original thick
glazing bars; stone floor band and plain pedimented stone doorcase
with 4-panel door approached by flight of 5 semi-circular steps; half-
glazed door to right and brick mounting block. Tall crow-stepped gabled
projection to rear, also added c.1749, houses main staircase. Interior:
main room (to left of entrance) has late C17 moulded stone fireplace
and painted C18 panelling; one room in right wing is completely oak
panelled with dado and large bevelled panels reaching to moulded cornice,
characteristic of early C18 work; fireplace with swagged overmantel
in same room is contemporary. Wide mid-C18 staircase with 3 elaborately
twisted balusters to each shallow tread, moulded handrail and open
string; plainer oak staircase in right wing is probably late C17.
Several panelled rooms on first floor with simple decoration to friezes;
panelled doors and shutters to windows throughout. Obliquely truncated
stone inscribed "1681/H-P/I-F" (Henry Powell, son of John Powell) in
stone cellar of left wing probably commemorates the beginning of the
late C17 building but is not in situ. Several urn-shaped finials,
formerly situated on the brick parapet of the centre section, are now
in the garden (not included in this list). 3-bay Georgian-style brick
range, dated 1938, set back to rear on left. B.O.E. p.138; Trans.
Salop Arch. Soc. Series 4, Vol. 9 (1923-4) pp.228-9.


Listing NGR: SJ3102605618

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.