This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5716 / 52°34'17"N
Longitude: -3.083 / 3°4'58"W
OS Eastings: 326694
OS Northings: 297633
OS Grid: SO266976
Mapcode National: GBR B2.C5M3
Mapcode Global: WH7B3.MM2F
Entry Name: Sundial Approximately 20 Metres South of Marrington Lodge
Listing Date: 21 March 1968
Last Amended: 14 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055046
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257365
Location: Chirbury with Brompton, Shropshire, SY15
Civil Parish: Chirbury with Brompton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Chirbury
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
CHIRBURY C.P. A 490 (east side)
SO 29 NE
8/40 Sundial approx.
- 20m south of Marrington
21.3.68 Lodge (formerly
listed as Sundial
at Marrington Hall)
Sundial. Dated 1595 for Richard Lloyd. Limestone. Square pillar on
chamfered square base. Each side of pillar is carved with a variety
of figures and emblems, the mottoes and arms of the Lloyd family of
Marrington Hall (q.v.). North face: figure of man in late C16 costume;
inscription "VThO/RASTIC/VITA" and carving of horse's head above. West
face: plant with lozenge shape above; interlocking serpents surmounted
by horse's head; date "1595" and rosette to top. South face: owl sitting
in tree with floriated cross above; torso of skeleton with "FVI.VT/ES.ERIS/
VT.SVM" carved in raised lettering below; scratchdial to top has inscription
"DEUS MIHI/LUX". East face: armorial shield with 3 lions rampant, lozenge
shape, griffin,shield with 2 birds and horse's head to top. Top section
of each face has indentations and variety of scratchdials designed to
utilise the sun's rays at 7 different points. There are positions for
7 gnomons, 3 to top and one to base with 3 to plinth missing at time
of resurvey (November 1985). Initials "R.LL" (Richard Lloyd) carved
on plinth with long superscription around edge largely indecipherable
at time of resurvey. Another superscription to top edge of pillar is
very faint but said to read "FROM DAI TO DAIE THESE SHADES DO FLEE AND
SO THIS LIFE PASSETH AWAIE". The sundial formerly stood on the lawn
at Marrington Hall and was brought to its present site in mid-1950s.
Marrington Lodge is not included in this list. Francis Leach, The Count
Seats ofshro shire (1891), pp.272-3.
Listing NGR: SO2669497633
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings