This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5801 / 52°34'48"N
Longitude: -3.0911 / 3°5'27"W
OS Eastings: 326162
OS Northings: 298585
OS Grid: SO261985
Mapcode National: GBR B2.BHNM
Mapcode Global: WH7B3.HD8X
Entry Name: Chirbury Hall
Listing Date: 14 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055052
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257378
Location: Chirbury with Brompton, Shropshire, SY15
Civil Parish: Chirbury with Brompton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Chirbury
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
CHIRBURY C.P. CHIRBURY
SO 29 NE
8/53 Chirbury Hall
Farmhouse. 1736 remodelling of earlier building with C19 additions and alterations.
Uncoursed limestone rubble with angle quoins and red brick dressings;
slate roof has coped verges on kneelers and finials to gable ends. Main
block of 4 bays with C19 L-shaped service range to right. 2 storeys
and attic; 4-window front, late C19 casements to first floor and C20
sash windows to ground floor, all with segmental brick heads, C20 French
window to left, 4 late C19 gabled dormers in bottom of roof slope; entrance
between third and fourth windows from left, late C19 gabled timber porch
with contemporary half-glazed inner door; axial red brick ridge stack
immediately to left of entrance with subsidiary ridge stack between
first and second windows from left. Datestone "RAP/HERES/E 1736 M"
to left gable end. Interior: partly infilled inglenook fireplace to
right ground-floor room has massive carved wooden lintel with quatrefoil
patterns, rose motifs and crudely carved human figures, 2 of whom are
carrying an unidentifiable object, probably late C16 or C17 but possibly
monastic in origin; a medieval piscina bowl is re-set vertically in
the window jamb; main ground-floor room has 2 chamfered cross beams
with stepped stops and panelling in corner where door gives access to
cellar; rectangular oak panelling to left ground-floor room, some in
situ but that to gable wall formerly under chamfered spine beam forming
partition; further C17 panelling (not in original position) forms overmantel
to fireplace, the decorative carving including the round-headed arch
motif; early C18 staircase to back wall has rather stumpy turned balusters
on first floor and there are similar balusters to attic staircase; main
feature of first floor is the panelling running full length of corridor,
rectangular panels with simple moulding to top, a motif repeated on
door to left end room; cross walls said to be timber framed but concealed
by plaster and wallpaper at time of resurvey (October 1985). In the
garden are a large number of medieval worked stones (not included in
this list) from the former Chirbury Priory, including several pieces
of window tracery, which may have been removed from the Church of St.
Michael (q.v.) during the restoration of 1871-2.
Listing NGR: SO2616298585
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings