History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Bayston Hill, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6749 / 52°40'29"N

Longitude: -2.7598 / 2°45'35"W

OS Eastings: 348720

OS Northings: 308842

OS Grid: SJ487088

Mapcode National: GBR BJ.4F7K

Mapcode Global: WH8C0.L106

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 10 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055072

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259308

Location: Bayston Hill, Shropshire, SY3

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bayston Hill

Built-Up Area: Bayston Hill

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bayston Hill Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Great Hanwood

Listing Text

SJ 40 NE BAYSTON HILL C.P. THE COMMON
(north side)

5/7 Christ Church
-

- II

Parish church. 1843 by Edward Haycock with chancel of 1886. Uncoursed
conglomerate rubble to nave and chancel with sandstone ashlar dressings and
to top 2 stages of tower, machine tile roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower and
south-east vestry. Tower: thin and unbuttressed in 4 stepped stages;
blocked lancet to second stage and 4 lancet openings to top belfry with
crenellated parapet; nail-studded west door in painted arch. Buttressed
nave in 3 bays has broad lancets with hoodmoulds on north and moulded eaves
cornice. Short one-bay chancel, east window of paired lancets with circular
opening above, moulded eaves cornice; lean-to vestry on south. Interior:
not inspected, but said to have an elaborately trussed roof and a late C19
octagonal font with quatrefoil panelling. The parish was formed in 1844
from part of Condover and St Julian's, Shrewsbury. D.H.S. Cranage, The
Churches of Shrewsbury (1894-1908), p.971.


Listing NGR: SJ4872008842

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.