This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7322 / 52°43'56"N
Longitude: -2.7923 / 2°47'32"W
OS Eastings: 346596
OS Northings: 315248
OS Grid: SJ465152
Mapcode National: GBR BG.0Z4S
Mapcode Global: WH8BM.2LM8
Entry Name: Laundry Cottage rossall Cottage
Listing Date: 29 January 1952
Last Amended: 27 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055153
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259100
Location: Bicton, Shropshire, SY3
Civil Parish: Bicton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bicton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
BICTON C.P. ROSSALL
SJ 41 NE
6/39 Rossall Cottage and Laundry
29.1.52 Cottage (formerly listed as
Former service block, now pair of cottages. Circa 1677 with some alterations
and additions of 1965. Red brick with some painted stone dressings. C20
concrete tile roof. Formerly one of a pair of service blocks flanking the
forecourt to the north-west of Rossall House (both the other service block
and the house are now demolished). Two storeys. North-east front:
dentil brick eaves cornice and parapeted gable ends with stone copings.
External brick lateral stack off-centre to left at front and large brick
stack off-centre to right at rear. 1:3:1 bays, central break with flat roof
(formerly with large triangular pediment, now demolished); small-paned
wooden cross windows with painted stone cills and gauged-brick heads with
triple keystones. Inserted first-floor left-hand window and blind first-
floor right-hand window. Central C20 half-glazed door with Gibbs surround.
First-floor segmental-headed wooden cross window in right-hand gable end.
Flat-roofed one-storey late C20 addition to right. Interior not inspected.
Rossall, dated 1677, was built for Edward Gosnell, a London merchant who
subsequently became Mayor of Shrewsbury, and was demolished in 1965. B.O.E.,
p. 235-6; Ed. Peter Reid, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses. Vol. II,
(1980), p. 111; N.M.R.
Listing NGR: SJ4659615248
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings