History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dovecote Approximately 25 Metres to South West of Dinthill Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bicton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7088 / 52°42'31"N

Longitude: -2.8481 / 2°50'53"W

OS Eastings: 342799

OS Northings: 312683

OS Grid: SJ427126

Mapcode National: GBR BD.2HHJ

Mapcode Global: WH8BS.751Q

Entry Name: Dovecote Approximately 25 Metres to South West of Dinthill Hall

Listing Date: 27 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055183

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259077

Location: Bicton, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bicton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bicton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Bicton

Listing Text

BICTON C.P. A 458 (T) (south side)
SJ 41 SW
SJ 4280 1269
9/17 Dovecote approx. 25 metres
- to south-west of Dinthill Hall

GV II

Dovecote. Circa 1734. Red brick with pyramidal slate roof. Octagonal
plan. Two storeys. Dentil brick eaves cornice. Central wooden glover
consisting of round-arched arcade with moulded architraves, imposts and
keystones, moulded cornice, and ogee lead cap with weathervane. Segmental-
headed loft openings to east and south-west, that to south-west widened in
late C20. Segmental-headed boarded door to north. Interior: brick
nesting boxes. Chamfered ceiling beam. Loft not inspected. Forrest
refers to a weathervane dated 1870. This was not evident at the time of
survey (January 1987) but it suggests that the glover might have been renewed
at that time. The dovecote forms part of the group of farmbuildings to the
west of Dinthill Hall (q.,v.), also including a barn and stables (q.v.).
H.E. Forrest, Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners (1924), p. 29.


Listing NGR: SJ4279912683

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.