History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Wallop Farmhouse and Lower Wallop Farm Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Westbury, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.662 / 52°39'43"N

Longitude: -3.0003 / 3°0'1"W

OS Eastings: 332440

OS Northings: 307612

OS Grid: SJ324076

Mapcode National: GBR B6.5810

Mapcode Global: WH8BW.WCG2

Entry Name: Lower Wallop Farmhouse and Lower Wallop Farm Cottage

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055199

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259013

Location: Westbury, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Westbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Westbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Wollaston

Listing Text

SJ 30 NW WESTBURY C.P. LOWER WALLOP

8/106 Lower Wallop Farmhouse
- and Lower Wallop Farm Cottage

- II

Farmhouse, now divided. Circa 1670, extended c. 1812, and partly rebuilt
in mid-to late C19. Rendered timber frame with red brick nogging,
partly rebuilt in red brick; early C19 addition in coursed grey
sandstone rubble with red brick facing to south-east(with evidence of
former painted surface), slate roof, hipped over early C19 block.
Probably 2 or 3 framed bays with addition to south-east. 2 storeys.
South-east front: deep eaves; pair of symmetrically placed brick ridge
stacks and brick ridge stack at junction with wing at rear consisting of
2 star-shaped shafts (tops rebuilt in C20). 1:1:1 bays, centre bay
projecting slightly, with triangular pedimented gable above; 12- and
16-pane glazing bar sashes with slightly segmental heads; central half-
glazed door (2 panels and 6 small lights) with doorcase consisting of
architrave, reeded pilaster strips, and reeded console brackets with
guttae (only surviving on right-hand one) supporting lead-covered flat
hood. Central 2-storey gabled staircase tower at rear. Rear wing has
C19 wooden casements,and gabled back porch to north-east and timber
framed partly exposed to south-west. Probably C19 kitchen block in
angle at rear. Interior: early C19 fittings including 6-panelled doors,
moulded cornices; 3-flight staircase with landings, open string with
scrolled cut brackets, stick balusters, and handrail with turned bottom
newel post. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p. 303; C. Ryan, The evolution of the
peasant house in Shropshire. Medieval - c. 1850. The Parish of Westbury,
Unpublished thesis (October 1979), Manchester University, p. 140.


Listing NGR: SJ3244007612

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.