History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Alberbury with Cardeston, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7051 / 52°42'18"N

Longitude: -2.8957 / 2°53'44"W

OS Eastings: 339575

OS Northings: 312307

OS Grid: SJ395123

Mapcode National: GBR BB.2PRF

Mapcode Global: WH8BR.H89L

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055215

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258946

Location: Alberbury with Cardeston, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Alberbury with Cardeston

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Cardeston

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Cardeston

Listing Text

SJ 3812-3912 ALBERBURY WITH CARDESTON
CARDESTON C.P.
15/41 Church of St Michael
-

- II

Parish church. Dated 1749, incorporating probably C12 fragments, remodelled
and west tower and link added in 1844 (datestone), and restored and vestry
added in 1905. Uncoursed Alberbury breccia with red and grey sandstone
ashlar dressing; plain tile roofs. 4-bay nave, one-bay chancel with north
vestry, and short link block to west tower. 1844 remodelling on a free
Perpendicular style. Tower: 3 stages. Square lower stage and middle
stage with splays to octagonal belfry. Chamfered plinth, diagonal buttreses
to lower stage with chamfered offsets, moulded string course, chamfered
string course to battlemented parapet, and pyramidal cap with weathervane.
4-centred arched belfry openings in cardinal faces, each with 2 ogee
cinquefoil-headed lights, panelled tracery, chamfered reveals, and returned
hoodmoulds; middle stage has gabled lucarnes with 4-centred arched windows;
first stage with pairs of boarded doors to south and west, each with
deeply moulded 4-centred arches and returned hoodmoulds, and 4-centred
arched north window with chamfered reveals; shield above south door dated
1844. Short narrow link block to nave with small 4-centred chamfered
arched windows to north and south. Nave: chamfered plinth to south and
plain plinth to north, moulded eaves cornice to south and dentil brick
eaves cornice to north, chamfered coped parapeted gable ends with moulded
keelers, and external square stack to north-east. 4-centred arched windows
to south with 2 ogee cinquefoil-headed lights, panelled tracery, chamfered
reveals, and returned hoodmould; single ogee cinquefoil-headed window to
north-east. C18 datestone in west gable [illegible at time of survey
(June 1985)]. Chancel: plinth, chamfered-coped parapeted gable end with
cross at apex. One-light window to south with ogee cinquefoil head and
chamfered reveals; 4-centred arched east window with 3 cinquefoil-headed
lights, panelled tracery, moulded cill, chamfered reveals, and returned
hoodmould (fragment of carved red sandstone tracery in wall to right).
Vestry: parapeted gable to front and stack with moulded cornice; window
with 2 ogee-headed lights and boarded crypt doorway to left with chamfered
reveals; nail-studded boarded door in right-hand return front with strap
hinges and chamfered reveals. Interior: C19 four-bay nave roof with
billet-decorated frieze and tie-beams, reused C18 king posts, and single
purlins (planted timber on western gable end); waggon roof in chancel dating
from 1905: double-chamfered chancel arch of c.1905 springing from corbels;
east window with chamfered rear arch and moulded mullions; south window
with probably C12 roll moulded rear-arch. Fittings include: west gallery
incorporating beam dated: "16 RT 78" with ovolo moulding and ogee stops,
C19 chamfered end posts and brackets, moulded cornice, balustrade, C17
staircase with square newel posts, and C17 door beneath with H-pattern
hinges and baluster in opening to left; possibly C17 stone font in vestibule
with octagonal base and bowl, and cover dated 1926; C17 communion table
and pair of chairs; parish chest in vestibule dated 1703; altar rails
and lectern of 1879; screen and pulpit of 1905; choir stalls of 1935;
the barrel organ of 1850 by Theodore C. Bates of Ludgate Hill said to be
kept in the church was not evident at time of survey (June 1985); painting:
C19 mural on north wall depicting St. John the Baptist meeting Christ on
the banks of the Jordan; glass: mostly diamond-leaded; stained glass
in east window of 1912. A series of drawings and watercolours show
the church after the C18 and 1849 rebuildings, and before the 1905
restoration showing the former round chancel arch. Cardeston church is
first recorded in 1276; the 1844 alterations and additions were largely
financed by Sir Balwin Leighton, lord of the manor and patron of the
living. V.C.H, Vol VIII, pp. 219-21; B.O.E., p. 93; D. H. S. Cranage,
An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 6, p. 524;
Church Guide to St Michael's Church, Cardeston.


Listing NGR: SJ3957512307

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.