History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wattlesborough Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Alberbury with Cardeston, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7073 / 52°42'26"N

Longitude: -2.9558 / 2°57'20"W

OS Eastings: 335517

OS Northings: 312613

OS Grid: SJ355126

Mapcode National: GBR B8.2DZ9

Mapcode Global: WH8BQ.K6PT

Entry Name: Wattlesborough Hall

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055239

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258910

Location: Alberbury with Cardeston, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Alberbury with Cardeston

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Cardeston

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Wollaston

Listing Text

SJ 31 SE
ALBERBURY WITH -
CARDESTON C.P.
5/5 Wattlesborough Hall

29.1.52

GV II

Farmhouse. Soon after c.1711. Roughly squared and coursed red and grey
sandstone with red sandstone dressings; rendered left-hand gable end;
graded slate roof. 2 storeys. Plinth, moulded stone eaves cornice, and
parapeted gable end to left with stone coping and moulded kneelers; integral
brick end stack to left. 5 bays; C19 wooden cross-windows with triple-
keyed lintels; central C20 glazed door with heavy rusticated surround and
5-keyed lintel. Right-hand ground-floor window is probably a former
doorway (see straight joints and brickwork below cill). 3 windows at rear;
raised central first-floor staircase window and blocked stone cross-window off-centre
to right. C20 brown brick one-storey addition at rear. Interior: C18
three-flight staircase with winders, rising to attic: closed string, turned
balusters, moulded handrail and beaded square bottom newel post. The house
was built adjoining the remains of Wattlesborough Castle (qv) and both
were occupied as one dwelling until the late C19. There is an engraving
in the farmhouse showing the castle with a probably medieval wing on the
site of the present C18 building so the latter probably incorporates reused
materials and might even be a thorough remodelling. County A.M. No 126.
V.C.H., vol VIII, pp, 197-8; B.O.E., pp. 33-4; D.F. Renn, Norman Castles
in Britain (1971), p.341.


Listing NGR: SJ3551712612

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.