History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Estate Office and 3 Sections of Attached Walls Adjoining Loton Park to South East

A Grade II Listed Building in Alberbury with Cardeston, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7258 / 52°43'33"N

Longitude: -2.9538 / 2°57'13"W

OS Eastings: 335683

OS Northings: 314670

OS Grid: SJ356146

Mapcode National: GBR B8.17H2

Mapcode Global: WH8BJ.LRN5

Entry Name: Former Estate Office and 3 Sections of Attached Walls Adjoining Loton Park to South East

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055247

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258932

Location: Alberbury with Cardeston, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Alberbury with Cardeston

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Alberbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Wollaston

Listing Text

SJ 3514 ALBERBURY WITH ALBERBURY
CARDESTON C.P.
12/27 Former estate office
- and 3 sections of
attached walls adjoining
Loton Park to south-east

GV II

Estate office, now disused, and attached walls. Dated 1843, probably by
Thomas Jones of Chester; attached gateway dated 1845. Red brick with red
sandstone ashlar dressing; plain tile roof. L-plan; Tudor Gothic style.
One storey and attic. Chamfered plinth, parapeted gables with chamfered
stone coping, moulded kneelers, and obelisk finials at feet and apexes;
brick ridge stack with 3 octagonal shafts. South-west (entrance) front:
2 gables; 2-window front; chamfered stone mullioned windows with lozenge-
pattern cast iron casements and returned hoodmoulds, 2-light to attic and
3-light to ground floor; central boarded door with chamfered reveals and
returned hoodmould; north-west entrance front: 3 windows; large central
gabled dormer with smaller flanking gabled semi-dormers. Short stub
of wall adjoining entrance front to right dated 1844 with high chamfered
plinth, stone coping, and central gabled break with date-shield in tympanum
and large chamfered Tudor arch with pair of nail-studded boarded doors.
Section of forecourt wall adjoining estate office to south-west; red sandstone
ashlar on coursed rubble base; L-plan; chamfered plinth and chamfered
coping, ramped up to square gate pier at left with trefoil-headed panelled
sides and gabled top; small gateway to right. Short section of garden
wall adjoining to north-west linking estate office to Loton Park (qv);
c.1873; red brick with red sandstone ashlar dressings; L-plan; chamfered
plinth and chamfered coping with globefinial at corner; tall arch at
junction with house; segmental-headed boarded door to right with strap
hinges and chamfered reveals. Interior of former estate office not
inspected. Thomas Jones carried out a remodelling of and extensions to
Loton Park (qv) in c.1830 and c.1838. The estate office forms one side
of the forecourt to the house, opposite the stable block (qv).


Listing NGR: SJ3568314670

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.