This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6091 / 52°36'32"N
Longitude: -2.599 / 2°35'56"W
OS Eastings: 359534
OS Northings: 301431
OS Grid: SJ595014
Mapcode National: GBR BQ.8QW1
Mapcode Global: WH9DF.1PN3
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 24 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055253
English Heritage Legacy ID: 258837
Location: Harley, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Harley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Harley
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
HARLEY C.P. HARLEY
SJ 50 SE
4/54 The Old Rectory
Rectory, now house. C14 or C15, extensively re-modelled late C16 with
further additions of c.1820 and later. Timber framed with plaster
infill and plain tile roofs to earlier part, red brick and slate hipped
roof to c.1820 addition. Original plan an open hall of 2 framed bays
to which a 2-bay range at right-angles to south (with a projecting
full-height porch in angle between) was added in late C16; late C18
two-storey range parallel to rear with a 2-bay range added to north
c.1820. Two storeys and attics; framing: east gable of medieval
range has close studding with a long curving tension brace and moulded
bressumer; C16 part is also close-studded on ground floor to front
and rear with middle rail and long straight tension braces, moulded
bressumer to first floor, above which are 4 square panels to wall-
plate, again with long straight tension braces; attics to porch and
south gable jettied with carved corner brackets [south gable end rough-
cast to first floor and attic at time of re-survey (1985)]; Irregular
fenestration, glazing bar sash on each floor to left of porch, which
has a late C20 casement on ground floor, fixed-light window above and
sliding sash to attic, late C20 casements to first floor and attic
of hall range with fixed-light windows flanking contemporary door
(blocked entrance in right side of porch). Circa 1820 two-bay
addition has glazing bar sashes, blind and painted in imitation to
upper right; prominent integral red brick stack to back wall of C16
part with cross-shaped shaft re-built in late C19 brown brick.
Interior: cross-beamed ceiling with deep moulding to ground-floor
back room of hall range, chamfered ceiling beams in other rooms with
straight-cut chamfer stops; nail-studded plank and muntin doors on
ground floor and several early C19 cast-iron grates including one of
hour-glass shape; double-purlin roofs with straight windbraces,
cambered tie and collar beams and jowled wall posts to hall range.
V.C.H., VIII (1968), p.86.
Listing NGR: SJ5953401431
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings