History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kenley, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6032 / 52°36'11"N

Longitude: -2.647 / 2°38'49"W

OS Eastings: 356279

OS Northings: 300795

OS Grid: SJ562007

Mapcode National: GBR BN.951K

Mapcode Global: WH9DD.9TSQ

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 13 June 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055258

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258849

Location: Kenley, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Kenley

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Kenley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Kenley

Listing Text

KENLEY C.P. KENLEY
SJ 50 SE
4/66 Church of St. John
13.6.58 the Baptist
GV II*

Parish church. C12 and C14, restored c. 1854. Roughly coursed gritstone
rubble, machine tile roofs. Nave and chancel in one, west tower and south
porch. Tower: probably C12; squat in 2 stages with later pyramidal roof;
rectangular chamfered openings to second stage on north, south and west
and plain rectangular openings to bottom stage on south and west. Long
nave and chancel in one; 3 mid-C19 windows with Y-tracery on south and
2 on north, all in slight recesses; north wall also has square-headed
blocked doorway to chancel and an infilled round-arched doorway (probably
C12), cut by western of two C19 windows; small blocked rectangular window
to chancel on south; C14 east window of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil
and mouchettes above; gabled south porch with round-arched doorway probably
C17. Interior: round-arched single-chamfered south doorway has nail-
studded plank and muntin door (probably C17); narrow doorway to tower
is pointed on east with 2 chamfered orders ending in small broaches and
square-headed on west (door with long strap hinges); main feature is late
C14 arch-braced collar beam roof, the 3 eastern trusses (to chancel)
with cusped struts from collars forming quatrefoils, double purlins and
cusped windbraces; the 2 eastern trusses to nave are boxed in (without
struts to collars) and the western truss consists of a tie beam with
raking struts supporting principal rafter; fine carved C17 pulpit has
tester with pendant knobs, reading desk below made up of contemporary
panels; hexagonal font 1875. No monumentsof note. The church is said
to have been a dependent chapelry of Cound (q.v. under Church of St. Peter,
Cound C.P.) in the medieval period and is stituated in an originally
oval-shaped churchyard (q.v. under churchyard wall), suggestive of an
early origin. B.O.E. p.159; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire,
Part 6 (1903) pp. 493-4; The Post Office Directory of Shropshire (1879)
(ed. E. R. Kelly) p.336.


Listing NGR: SJ5627900795

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.