History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leighton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Leighton and Eaton Constantine, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6425 / 52°38'32"N

Longitude: -2.5744 / 2°34'27"W

OS Eastings: 361231

OS Northings: 305123

OS Grid: SJ612051

Mapcode National: GBR BR.6QXN

Mapcode Global: WH9D7.FVB3

Entry Name: Leighton Hall

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055268

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258883

Location: Leighton and Eaton Constantine, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Leighton and Eaton Constantine

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Leighton-under-Wrekin St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Leighton

Listing Text

LEIGHTON AND EATON CONSTANTINE C.P.

SJ 60 NW
2/98
29.1.52
GV

LEIGHTON
Leighton Hall

II

Country house. 1778, probably incorporating parts of an earlier house,
considerably extended and re-modelled 1887-8 by W. Bowdler of Shrewsbury
for T.F. Kynnersley. Red brick with ashlar dressings and rusticated
angle quoins, plain tile hipped roof behind coped eaves parapet, red
brick ridge and end stacks. 2 storeys and attics; south front: now
the main entrance front; 3:2:3 bays with full-height canted bay
projections to left and right, glazing bar sashes with segmental
heads (glazing bars removed to bottom of windows on ground floor);
late C19 classical-style portico linking canted bays has an arcade of
3 elliptical arches, surmounted by balustrade with pedimented Kynnersley
coat-of-arms to centre; 2 late C18 lead downpipes in angles with
canted bays; left and right returns each have 2 late C19 canted bay
projections similar to C18 canted bays on front. Late C18 service
range to rear includes 2-storey rectangular hip-roofed block with
top-lit pavilion; long 2-storey 8-bay late C19 and C20 range behind.
An inscription to right of late C19 glazed doors to south front records
the re-building of the house for T.F. Kynnersley. Interior: considerably
altered and re-modelled 1887-8; oak staircase said to be of this date
but the rectangular oak panelling re-used in the entrance hall is
probably C17 or earlier (see also the cock's head hinges to the panelled
inner door); Jacobean wooden overmantel in room to right of entrance
has been brought from elsewhere and there are said to be panelled
bedrooms on first floor; late C18 shutters to windows of right-hand
canted bay on south front. There is a photograph of the house before 1887-8
onp.95 of Peter Reid's Burke's and Savill's Guide to Country Houses,
Vol. II (1980); Francis Leach, The Country Seats of Shropshire (1891),
Pp.201-3; B.o.E., p.165.

Listing NGR: SJ6123105123

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.