History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Harley, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6095 / 52°36'34"N

Longitude: -2.5977 / 2°35'51"W

OS Eastings: 359622

OS Northings: 301471

OS Grid: SJ596014

Mapcode National: GBR BQ.8R62

Mapcode Global: WH9DF.2N8V

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 13 June 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055289

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258831

Location: Harley, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Harley

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Harley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Harley

Listing Text

HARLEY C.P. HARLEY
SJ 50 SE
4/48 Church of St Mary
13.6.58.
GV II

Parish church. Medieval origins, re-built, except for C13 and C15
west tower, by S. Pountney Smith in 1846. Regularly coursed sandstone
with ashlar dressings, machine tile roofs with coped verges. Nave,
chancel, west tower and south porch. Tower: 3 stages, bottom 2
stages C13, embattled top stage late C15; cusped 2-light windows with
hoodmoulds and carved heads as label stops to belfry, string course
below parapet with gargoyles to corners; second stage has short
lancets on north and south and clock (c.1814) on west; late C15 west
window of 3 lights to ground stage has cusped panel tracery and hood-
mould with carved heads as label stops. Nave: buttressed in 3 bays,
2-light Gothic-style windows with hoodmoulds; gabled porch projecting
from first bay to west on south. Chancel: of 2 bays on high chamfered
plinth, lancets with hoodmoulds and scrolled label stops; pointed
doorway to centre on south and east window of 3 stepped lancets.
Interior: pointed double-chamfered tower arch dying at responds;
King-post roofs to nave and chancel with pointed chancel arch; re-
positioned late C18 high box pews and C12 circular font with circular
pedestal and plinth; oak chest with 3 fleur-de-lys strap hinges
probably medieval; stained glass in chancel and west window by David
Evans of Shrewsbury, including medallions in Flemish style to east
window (cf: Christ Church, Cressage C.P.). Monuments: in chancel,
brass of knight and lady (c.1480) said to be Sir Richard Lacon, Sheriff
of the county, and his wife; figures of children (8 sons and 5 daughters)
below; primitively carved wall memorial (north side) to Benjamin
Jenks, rector (died 1724) and below one C17 and one C18 headstone to
members of the Harnage family moved inside from the churchyard; wall
tablet to Jenks's first wife in tower and two C18 hatchments to members
of the Harnage family flanking chancel arch. A tablet recording the
re-building of the church is in the tower. B.o.E., Pp. 139-40;
D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903), Pp. 491-2.


Listing NGR: SJ5962201471

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.