This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9557 / 52°57'20"N
Longitude: -2.5093 / 2°30'33"W
OS Eastings: 365879
OS Northings: 339940
OS Grid: SJ658399
Mapcode National: GBR 7T.KWGH
Mapcode Global: WH9BQ.FY9Y
Entry Name: Former Stable Block Approximately 100 Metres to North West of Adderley Hall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 5 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055294
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260309
Location: Adderley, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Adderley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Adderley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 63 NE ADDERLEY C.P. ADDERLEY PARK
SJ 6586 3994
6/6 Former stable block
- approx. 100 metres to
north-west of Adderley
Stable block, now farmbuildings. Circa 1787-8, probably by John Carline II
of Shrewsbury. Red brick with some grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Hipped
slate roof. Square courtyard plan. 2 storeys. West (entrance) front:
4:3:4 bays. Toothed-brick eaves cornice. Central break has triangular
pediment with moulded stone cornice and circular wooden clock in tympanum.
Central square wooden bellcote with keyed round arches, moulded cornice, and
incurved lead cap with globe finial and weathervane. Glazing bar sashes
with gauged-brick heads and stone cills. Some windows are painted imitations
and some are blocked. Central elliptical-arched carriageway with raised
stone impost blocks and keystone. Pair of large wooden doors, each with
8 raised and fielded panels. Courtyard: rear of entrance range of 2:3:2
bays. Central break with triangular pediment, clock in tympanum, and elliptical
carriage arch with flanking doorways (left-hand blocked). Side ranges of
5 and 6 bays and rear range of 6 bays, north range and rear range with depressed-
arched carriage doorways (some blocked). Some painted imitation windows.
At the time of survey (July 1986) some windows have lost their sashes or have
been blocked. Late C19 and late C20 additions have been built adjoining
the west front. John Carline the Younger (1761-1835) designed the portico
(built 1787-9) of Adderley Hall (dem. and rebuilt 1877) for Sir Clive Corbet
so it is possible that he was also responsible for the stable block. Adderley
Hall Farmhouse is not included on this list. Colvin, p.187.
Listing NGR: SJ6587939940
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings