This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8625 / 52°51'45"N
Longitude: -2.5594 / 2°33'33"W
OS Eastings: 362435
OS Northings: 329595
OS Grid: SJ624295
Mapcode National: GBR 7R.RNTZ
Mapcode Global: WH9C8.N9FV
Entry Name: The Old Hall
Listing Date: 10 February 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055350
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260249
Location: Hodnet, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Hodnet
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Hodnet
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
HODNET C.P. WOLLERTON
SJ 62 NW
6/93 The Old Hall
House. Late C16. Timber framed with painted brick nogging.
Plain tile roof. Framing: closely-spaced studs with rails.
Decorative parallel diagonal stutting in gable end to east. 3
framed bays. Surviving cross wing of once larger house (hall range
now destroyed). 2 storeys. Shaped barge boards with finials. Pair
of external lateral brick stacks at rear. South front: 2 first-floor
windows and 3 ground-floor windows; early C20 two- and 3-light small-
paned wooden casements. Roughly central late C19 or early C20 timber
framed porch; nail-studded boarded door with strap hinges and 4-part
overlight, and brackets supporting gable with shaped barge boards
and finial. Irregular wall framing to left, formerly an internal wall
between cross wing and former hall range (see timbers roughened to take
plaster). Blocked ground and first-floor straight-sided arched
doorways (that on ground floor with inserted window). Right-hand gable
end: underbuilt formerly jettied first floor, and slightly jettied gable.
Pairs of glazing bar sashes to each floor. Left-hand gable end:
jettied first floor with restored bressumer and 4 brackets. High brick
plinth and 2 later brick buttresses. Slightly jettied gable with chamfered
bressumer and restored end brackets. First and ground-floor 3-light
small-paned wooden casements. Interior: chamfered beams. Left-hand
ground-floor room: mid-to late C17 plaster overmantel consisting of
cartouche with raven and flanking terms and flower drops; plaster dentil
cornice. Right-hand ground-floor room: refitted c.1700; bolection-
moulded panelling with dado rail and moulded cornice. Round-arched
corner cupboard. Doors with 6 raised and fielded panels. Panelled
window shutters. Staircase of c.1700 with closed string, turned
balusters and newel post, and moulded handrail. Right-hand first-floor
room: remodelled c.1700 with plaster dentil cornice and coved ceiling
with central plaster panels. Door with 6 raised and fielded panels.
Listing NGR: SJ6243529595
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings