History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lane End

A Grade II Listed Building in Shawbury, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7858 / 52°47'9"N

Longitude: -2.604 / 2°36'14"W

OS Eastings: 359358

OS Northings: 321089

OS Grid: SJ593210

Mapcode National: GBR 7P.XHZK

Mapcode Global: WH9CM.Z74N

Entry Name: Lane End

Listing Date: 28 October 1960

Last Amended: 29 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055382

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260121

Location: Shawbury, Shropshire, TF6

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Shawbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Shawbury St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Shawbury

Listing Text

SJ 52 SE SHAWBURY C.P. MUCKLETON

9/125 Nos. 2 and 3 (Lane
28.10.60 End) (Formerly listed as
No 2 and No 3)

- II

Farmhouse, now divided. Probably early C16 with hall range dated 1601.
Late C19 and early C20 additions. Timber framed with plastered infill
panels on dressed grey sandstone plinth. Rendered brick and grey sandstone
rubble addition. Plain tile roofs. Framing: C16 large square panels
(3 from sole plate to wall plate) with large curved arched braces.
C17 ground-floor close studding with long straight tension braces and
first-floor closely-spaced uprights with middle rail. Early C17 baffle-
entry hall range of 2 framed bays with flush gabled cross wing to south-
west of 2 framed bays. 2 storeys. South-east front: hall range with
first floor continuously jettied on 3 sides; posts with hewn
stepped brackets. Brick ridge stack off-centre to right (rebuilt above
roof in C20) and rendered integral brick end stack at rear of cross
wing. 2-window hall range; C19 three-light wooden framed metal casements.
Roughly central C20 boarded door, inscribed above: "TIM 1601". Right-hand gable
end with blocked first-floor window and jettied gable with quatrefoiled
square panels. Cross wing to left with first-floor C20 two-light wooden
casement and 2 ground-floor small C19 wooden casements. Gable has truss
with cambered tie-beam and central strut (altered). Central entrance
in left-hand return front. Early C20 one-storey sandstone rubble service
block at rear of hall range. Interior: cross wing has large joists
and beams with wide chamfers. Hall range with chamfered spine beams.


Listing NGR: SJ5935821089

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.