History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of Church of St Mary Approximately 215 Metres to North West of the Flags

A Grade II Listed Building in Myddle and Broughton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8109 / 52°48'39"N

Longitude: -2.7415 / 2°44'29"W

OS Eastings: 350116

OS Northings: 323959

OS Grid: SJ501239

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.VSPS

Mapcode Global: WH8B7.VLQZ

Entry Name: Remains of Church of St Mary Approximately 215 Metres to North West of the Flags

Listing Date: 28 October 1960

Last Amended: 29 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055415

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259998

Location: Myddle and Broughton, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Myddle, Broughton and Harmer H

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: BroughtonSt Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Myddle

Listing Text

SJ 5023-5123 BROUGHTON C.P. BROUGHTON BANK,
SJ 50112 23960 Yorton (north side)

16/5 Remains of Church
- of Saint Mary approx.
215 metres to north-
28.10.60 west of The Flags
(formerly listed
as Ruins of old
Church of Saint
Mary, including
remains of cross)

GV II

Parish church, remains of. Late C12, partly demolished and ruined
after 1858. Roughly dressed yellow/grey and red sandstone. Remains
of chancel, approximately 10 x 7 metres and standing up to approximately
one metre high. Cranage and Pevsner describe a number of windows,
doors and other architectural features, but none were evident in the
ivy-clad ruins at the time of survey (December 1985). The old church
was replaced by a new building on Church Road to the south (q.v.) in
1858. It formerly consisted of a nave, chancel, porch and bellcote
and is said to have had a C12 chancel arch. It was formerly a chapelry
of the church of St. Chad, Shrewsbury. In the new church of St. Mary
(q.v.) there is a watercolour of the old church and churchyard before
1858, and there is also an oil painting of the ruins. The remains
of a churchyard cross (q.v.) and a number of chest tombs stand to the
south of the ruins. Photographs in the Shropshire Libraries Collection
show the north and east chancel walls still standing high with 2 small
east windows, chamfered north doorway, chamfered trefoiled piscina
and south-east buttress. The Flags is not included on this list.
D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural account of the churches of Shropshire,
Shrewsbury churches, pp. 852-3; B.O.E., p.87; Kelly and Co., Post Office
Directory of Shropshire (1856), p.25; Shropshire Libraries, photographs
collection.


Listing NGR: SJ5011623959

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.